Paint color and texture problem

The previous owners of this house left behind a few cans of paints labeled with what they were for. One in particular was off-white eggshell Sherwin Williams Promar 200 acrylic. I used some of it to touch up the areas for which the can markings designated it, and it matched perfectly. Then I left the can not closed properly, and the paint hardened. I took the can to S-W and had them make up another gallon following the formula on the lid of the old can, except that the guy persuaded me that the *latex* Promar 200 would be better for my purposes.

The new paint turned out to be far more greenish-yellow than the original, but I didn't take much notice of the texture and took it back with a sample of the original color. This time they matched the color OK (the formulae printed on the labels are very different -- different tints, not just different quantities of the same tints), but the texture is significantly different.

Is it to be expected that the texture of the latex and alkyd versions of supposedly the same texture paint should be different in practice?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

A. Yes being as they're different bases it's not surprising.

Q. Did they mix the second (matching) by using the charts for the correct base or by using their spectographic sensor and it's matching? If the latter it's not surprising they're different, too. The interesting experiment would be whether the same tint base and tints and color chart is still available and if one of them matched to original X months/years later.

OTOH, I find it frustrating that by the time I'd like another of the matching they'll have changed all the color strips and their numbering systems and who knows what else and the old formulae aren't any good, anyway... :( It's another case of planned obsolescence I figure.

Reply to
dpb