Paint ceramic tile???

I'm painting my kitchen and have ceramic tile around the sink and stove. Is it possible to paint? I thought if I sanded the glaze off that it would then be paintable. Is that right? I have 2 days after Christmas to get my kitchen, family room, hallway, and 1 bathroom painted and put back together for my son's 5th birthday party on Sun Dec 28th. Don't really want to pull down the tile, but it doesn't go with the colors SWMBO has picked.
Please help.
Thanks, Nick
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:44:48 -0600, Nick

I'd just clean the tile with hot water and detergent to rid it of grease build up and then paint with a high quality latex enamel. I would NOT sand.
You can check for buildup with a razor blade scraper.
PJ
Dont use Latex. Period. Latex does not bond well to any gloss, or imbedded grease. Also all those dam brush marks will show. A tru sign of an amature. Spray is #1 , B.M. Satin Impervo w/penetrol #2 . Latex #6
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:39:43 -0600 (CST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

Can you elaborate on that last sentence?
Nick
Nick wrote:

Latex = shit. It doesn't stick to any surface that doesn't have a flat coating on it. Plus, it won't take the wear/tear behind a stovetop. Stains easily, too. We have old metal tile (35 years old) that has been painted. Takes a beating, and it sure doesn't have latex on it.
Nick, i beleive you mean about Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo. It is the finest trim paint, You can paint Glass or a smooth surface such as a 220 g sanded and have no brushmarks, But with tile and all the grout lines you are best spraying, Even for real pro roll- brush on tile is a chalenge, and time consuming. Spray it.
Around the stove? how hot does it get. If above 130 No it will yellow or burn. If you still want to do it Spray it , with cans of spray paint. Clean with tsp, and denatured alcohol first.
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:44:48 -0600, Nick

http://www.ukstyle.tv/HomesAndProperty/Index.cfm?ccsU8&cs 3
These guys recommend a primer before you paint your final coat, but I doubt you will need it. I like the idea of the grout paint pen.
PJ
clipped

Any surface that MIGHT have a problem should be primed after it is thorooughly cleaned and degreased.
Two days to paint four rooms? Planning on 48 hours straight? :o)

I do have some help. There will be 3 people with rollers and 1 doing trim. Now I just have to find 1 more for the sprayer... and a sprayer.
Thanks for the info.
Nick
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 08:33:15 GMT, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

And, if you do decide to spray, don't forget to make sure that there are no lit gas pilots on the stove or elsewhere (in case it's an older model gas stove).