Paint can tip

Whenever I open up a gallon paint can, I take a drywall screw and punch about a dozen holes in the recess of the lip the lid goes into. This keeps the depression from filling with paint, as it will drip through the holes into the can. Punch them so they are about 1/8" wide so the paint will flow freely. Still a mess any way you go, but a little better that way. You can use it on smaller cans as well.
Yer welcome.
Steve

Great idea - I wonder why I didn't think of it<G>
Steve B wrote:

Much easier to cut a strip of aluminum foil and cover the rim with it, at least on the pouring side and wide enough to catch the little bit that runs down the side of the can. Make sure to pour from the side opposite where the color formula is written (or copy it onto the lid, too).

Have seen a plastic pourng lip that snaps on side of the can!
I've seen people use a dry paint brush to soak up the paint that remains in the rim.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Not really; having a screw or nail handy is more likely than tin foil IMO and nothing extra left to throw away. I've found 4 holes are usually enough. Keep them in the full bottom of the well of course, so the air tight seal is maintained.
HTH,
Twayne` -
--
Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
But always verify important information with
On 3/16/2010 8:57 PM, Steve B wrote:

I'd be concerned that if you don't use all the paint and store remainder in can that having penetrated the can coating it would be more subject to corrosion.

It is under the seal.
Steve

It is also painted

Then don't do it.
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 07:28:06 -0400, Frank

I have had this happen. Ruined a 3/4 full can of white paint due to the rust.

Great Idea.
I've been doing that with a finishing nail for years.
I also make sure I clean the recess, usually with a paper towel before I put the lid on.
Another tip:
If your wife is anything like mine, buy her a set of brushes and hide yours.
When I'm done cleaning mine you can eat with them.
A day after she cleans her's, you could hit a home run with one.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

My hubby isn't allowed to paint, or do anything else that needs to LOOK good....if he ever owned a paint brush, it is probably fossilized in a can of dried up paint somewhere :o) When our condo was painted white, the contractor wasn't paid to paint the green trim. The house numbers are second story, about two feet high. I don't climb ladders, but I did that day with a can of paint in my hand and my eyes closed...wasn't going to risk hubby splattering green paint on the newly painted wall and incurring the wrath of a snarky condo board. I deserved a medal, but haven't gotten it yet :o)

It's the same in our house, only the genders are reversed.
Cindy Hamilton

Yup. The day SWMBO gets on a ladder Obama won't need a teleprompter.
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 04:59:08 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Same here, I usually just use the screwdriver I opened the can with. If it is a small one I use the whole blade width, a bigger one, just one corner of the blade. I have heard arguments that the seal is compromised but I store the cans upside down and I never see a leak.

Great Idea.
I've been doing that with a finishing nail for years.
I also make sure I clean the recess, usually with a paper towel before I put the lid on.
Another tip:
If your wife is anything like mine, buy her a set of brushes and hide yours.
When I'm done cleaning mine you can eat with them.
A day after she cleans her's, you could hit a home run with one.
DITTO...I have the exact same routine..Nobody but me touches my Purdy's...LOL...I have been using a nail for YEARS as well...Never had a can dry up...
Steve B wrote:

Alternative:
Saw a guy from Home Depot showing painting tips on one of the morning shows. He summed up by using a Home Depot plastic bag to put over the can before replacing the lid. "Makes an air-tight seal" he said. 'Course he claimed that only Home Depot plastic bags would work, that those from Home Depot's competitors would grow mold and attract armadillos.
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:57:52 -0700, Steve B wrote:

Even though no one ask, I finally got some attention. Wait till I show this to my ex-wife. She will think I'm a real hero. Thanks for the support guys and gals. Now I can go back to asking dumb questions and wasting your time.

I can remember reading that tip years ago. Punched "drip holes" in the rim every time I'd paint.
Then I found that all my stored paints were dried up.
The holes can prevent the lid from forming an airtight seal when you put the lid back on.
I stopped punching "drain holes"..... stored paint GOOD !!