Paint brand recommendation?

Page 1 of 2

I had new windows installed yesterday. Yay. Now I have to paint the unfinished wood (interior only).
Pella says to choose a paint with good blocking resistance. I know what that is because I read about it in Consumer Reports years ago.
Thing is, even if I could track down the article, the results would hardly be applicable after all these years.
Can someone out there recommend a brand known for low blocking? Something I could find easily? When I look at manufacturer's sites, I don't see them bragging about their blocking resistance.
Appreciate any help you can give me. I have to get this right.
nancy

Open the phone book and find a store that sells either Devoe, or Martin-Senour ProLine paints. In this newsgroup, you'll read where some people had good experiences with the more popular brands, like Sherwin-Williams, and others had less than satisfactory results. But, you will never hear complaints about the two brands I mentioned.

Thanks very much. I see I will have to make a drive for either of those brands, but not too bad.
nancy

Without knowing it, you have voided your warranty at the install. Interior wood by some makers give X number of hours/days to finish the trim inside.
What "blocking"?
-- Oren

Ahhh, they haven't even finished the install and I'm out of warranty! Actually, it says if you can't get to it right away, essentially don't let it get wet.

I stole the following definition from some website. If I had to describe it, it's that some paints stay tackier than others. Like when you open a door and you can hear the paint sticking.
The ability of a material to resist sticking due to one or more of the effects of temperature, pressure or relative humidity.
nancy

Here's a simple rule: Look at what the paint manufacturer says is the number of hours to wait before recoating. Multiply that by 3, even under ideal conditions. The recommendations are fantasies. Same for total cure time. This is why the best way to paint doors and windows is to remove them, replace with something temporary (like sheets of plywood cut to size), and paint them indoors where you can control the temperature.

Given my options with new interior wood (windows) I would maybe stain with a light color too help seal the wood and perhaps paint later.
-- Oren

Hmm. I've been kicking around finding some kind of primer to at least hit the parts that might get wet, as I am not going to be able to pick up the paint until Saturday morning.
Thanks. nancy

Whattya mean, "kicking around finding"? Use whatever's around the house from some previous project?

Heh. That I could actually do, but I mean finding primer paint at a local store. I would like to be able to keep my windows open during the upcoming week without worrying about rain.
nancy
wrote

Nancy, it sounds like this project wasn't coordinated correctly. Can you take a little time off from work and go get the right paint sooner than Saturday?

Well, it would have been nice if someone had told me ahead of time, that I would want to paint right away. Of course I would have been prepared.
As for taking time out of my busy schedule (ha) to drive into the next state to pick up paint, if someone can tell me why my car is all of a sudden not firing on all plugs, I'd go. I wonder if I have a cracked distributer cap because it happened so suddenly. But that is another story for another day. Meanwhile, I'm happy to get some prime on there.
nancy
wrote

Presumably, you have already addressed the vehicle using every obscenity you can come up with.

I love my car. It's been a champ all these years. I should spring for a distributer cap, wires and plugs. Been a very long time since I've worked on a car engine and my confidence isn't high. Sigh. If I was sure that was the problem ...
nancy
wrote

Well, its owner isn't firing on all cylinders, either.
Heh heh. Me make a funny.

(laugh) I walked into that one.
nancy

Explain; "the parts that might get wet".
-- Oren

What would get wet if I left the window open and it starts to rain.
nancy

Smack me in the head!
We might 300 days without rain in the Mojave Desert and this went over the head. -- Oren
On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 14:17:25 -0700, Oren wrote:

their doors have been painted within X number of hours/days. That's how they know if the warranty has been voided.