Paint black side gate

My black side iron gate looks rather worn. How do I repaint the gate? Is it paint or is it some form of black oil stain that is on it? See picture:

Should I use brush or rollers?

Thanks for any tips!

Reply to
dchou4u

You will not be able to duplicate that finish, it looks like a powder coated factory applied enamel finish...

You have some rust to deal with which you should remove and spot prime before painting...

What is that white residue all over the latch side of the gate?

Is there something above which is draining/running off onto the gate ?

Reply to
Evan

Not sure what the white stuff is..

My neighbor have the same type and color side gate, and he recently had a c> On May 26, 7:06=A0pm, " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote: >

Reply to
dchou4u

Oxidized paint or lime deposit from sprinkler? Oxidized paint might come off with rubbing compound. Does the haze lie on area with most sun exposure? I don't see rust; if there is rust, rub/sand it out, used rusty metal primer and repaint. You can rough the rest of the surface (to repaint), use a brush and Rustoleum enamel. Should last a good while.

Reply to
Norminn

I would clean, let dry, and use black semi-gloss or flat or gloss spray paint to refinish it.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I used automotive spray paint. If you are painting it black high temprature black paint like for painting exhaust systems holds up really well.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

It is an outdoor gate, I would use no less than either a marine grade epoxy paint and the proper prep if you do it yourself...

You could also look into having a company come remove the gate, sandblast it down to bare metal and reapply a powder coat enamel finish at their paint booth... Looks like the gate unbolts from the footings and the hinges from the walls...

You won't be able to achieve that kind of finish in the field...

Reply to
Evan

Krylon mountain view color, indoor outdoor acrylic paint sprays are like enamel auto paints without the hardener required. I thought mountain view looked similar to the pic. Do you have to do both sides. Might take 4-5 cans .

You could go with paint rollers and outdoor latex, if yo have no rust.

Greg

Reply to
gregz