paint and prime questions, exterior

Hello, I have read every post I could find on the subject but I still have some questions. We have a 106 year old Queen Anne Victorian that badly needs a paint job. We started the prep work this week. The porch railing has been scraped and sanded but the wood looks very dry. What I would like to do is use linseed oil on it, but if I get oil on surfaces that still have good paint on the will my oil based primer adhere properly?

Also, I have read that all I need to prime are the bare spots on my siding. I would prefer to put a coat of primer on everything, siding trim and all. Is that ok? The scraping is slow going, but I am leery of using a power washer. I am worried about dry time now that the temps are in the 70s. What do you think?

Any and all answers and suggestions appreciated.

Roger

Reply to
bighead

Linseed oil is good for antique walnut gun stocks and not much else. Modern paint chemistry has made a lot of progress since the 19th century and it's wise to take advantage of it. It might be a good idea to keep on with the prep work while you research your painting scheme. Plan on talking to real paint store professionals and do a lot of reading before you pick up a brush. By next spring you will be better informed and are far more likely to efficiently get the job done. Ask the paint store people if a good oil based primer wouldn't be the best thing for bare wood as you proceed. That's always worked for me. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst