Pain furnace, er I mean Payne

This ol' furnace has been acting up for a month or so. It's a Payne, but I can not find the model number, nor do I know how old it is. The red light is doing a 3/4 blink sequence and everything works up to the burner staying on. The fan ends up blowing coolish air for a minute or so, then the whole thing starts over again and eventually after several attempts the burner stays on and warm air gets blown. Tonight this went on for over an hour without any heat being made, so I shut it all down. Any ideas? Should I try restarting it? There is no gas odor, but is there still a risk? I have plenty of warm woolies to put on, but their kinda scratchy and company is due Saturday. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Kayle
On 24 Jan 2007 21:09:17 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Don't know anything specific about 3/4 blinking but if the burner lights but won't stay on then most likely the furnace is not sensing the flame. It will shut itself down because it assumes no flame. It will try again only to shut down again. The furnace eventually lights because the problem is marginal.
The sensing device may be a thermocouple bulb placed close to the flame.......clean or reposition slightly closer to the flame. Replace if necessary.
The sensing device may be some sort of light sensor....clean the surface facing the flame or replace.
says...

That, or there's no draft. Could be the draft sensor is bad, or perhaps the flue is obstructed. First thing I'd do is inspect the flue.
You may be right on. A response I received from another group that was suggested to me, said the blinking indicates 'ignition lockout' . Thank you so much for your input! snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Had a similar problem with another brand of furnace, I found the electronic thermostat batteries were low, but not low enough to have the "replace battery" light come on. Later I found it was eating batteries and had to change them every week. It got worse so that replacing the batteries did nothing. Changed over to a good quality Honeywell electronic thermostat and it has been fine for years.

Interesting. This whole set up is pretty ancient and I would do well to have it serviced soon, I think. Meanwhile, I gently cleaned the flame sensor, checked for obstructions and Viol . . . heat! So far so good. A new thermostat may yet be in my future, tho! Thank you! EXT wrote:

Don't tell anyone from HVAC that you fixed it yourself or you may be threatened with scenarios of your house blowing up or being overcome by toxic fumes.
They would rather have you pay them first before they get the chance at blowing up your house.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Yikes! The exact scenarios I've had in my head for a couple days now. My bravado is fragile!

You can't hurt your furnace by cleaning the sensor or inspecting the flue. The people from HVAC would like you to think so.