P2R phillips bit -- what is it?

Page 2 of 2
Robert Allison posted for all of us...

Yup the r stands for reduced shank - the shank is only as wide as the wings while a reguler bit is the 1/4 hex size.

message

I'm not sure what they are either. Back some time ago, before I retired, we had 2 shapes of Phillips #2. one was normal and the other was real narrow. I don't remember the number designation for the narrow one but I liked it because it sat deeper in the screw and I thought it held better. That's kinda what yours sounds like.

If you would have Googled better, you would have found that some Phillips tips have serrations and are made of harder metal and metal of different metallurgy to resist chipping, stripping and schlipping.
But you knew that, right?
You know everything.
Steve

You seem to have a problem but I have no idea what it is.

I'm confused. The other day you said goodbye, and now you are answering me.
I'm soooo confuuuuuuuuused.
Steve

Not too bright either, I take it. You were talking about not having newsgroups and I said bye to you seeing as you were the one complaining. You sounded like you were leaving. I'm not.
And yes, I do know quite a lot. As the saying goes, I've probably forgot more than a lot of you will ever know. [g]

Full of it today, aren't we?
I did once think I was perfect. I never want to be that sick again.
Steve
I found a link that referred to them as "Phillips Reduced". Found about 800 hits on that phrase. Looks like a thinner version of Phillips. Not sure where you would use them, though.
Mike O.

The main company involved in replaceable screwdriver tips is Apex.
Apex is owned by Cooper industries.
Quotation from their site: Apex offers a choice of three heat treat hardness levels in many of our screwdriver bits to match the application. These heat treats are specified by a letter suffix as follows: X - Hardest heat treat in the industry I - Intermediate hardness R - Lowest hardness Our experienced staff can help in selecting the best heat treat for your particular application. Apex bits & sockets last ten longer than most of our competition.
If you really want to know more: http://www.cooperpowertools.com/catalog_pdf/index.cfm?parent1
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

According to this reference, the bits I've been snapping off are the small-diameter "limited clearance" phillips bits. They are smaller diameter apparently for no reason other than to allow access in restricted spaces.
Now I know...
Thanks, DanG!
Ain't USENET great?! (Chinese spam, 2-party bickering, and "Google Is The Answer" 'bots, notwithstanding...)
FBt