P2R phillips bit -- what is it?

I found a link that referred to them as "Phillips Reduced". Found about 800 hits on that phrase. Looks like a thinner version of Phillips. Not sure where you would use them, though.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:LmAKj.2266$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

posi-drive should be marked PZ. they are like Philips except the sides are not tapered,but perpendicular so there's no cam-out.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

What part about the word "drywall" do you not understand?

Yes, it is.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Let me rephrase that...

When & why would you use a P2R bit rather than a regular P2 bit? Are drywall screws specifically meant to be driven with P2R bits? It seems that P2R bits are more broadly purposed than just for drywall...

Looking for more than Google gives on P2R... (although now that I know it stands for Reed-Prince, I do find more). But Googling "P2R" only says it's for drywall, which I find ... an incomplete answer.

So, no, Google is not always the answer.

Reply to
Esther & Fester Bestertester

on 4/8/2008 1:59 PM Esther & Fester Bestertester said the following:

If it works in a Phillips head screw, what the hell's the difference if it is a P2R bit or a #2 Phillips bit?. Just hold on to it until you get screws that it will only fit. All this crap because of a number on a bit.

Reply to
willshak

The main company involved in replaceable screwdriver tips is Apex.

Apex is owned by Cooper industries.

Quotation from their site: Apex offers a choice of three heat treat hardness levels in many of our screwdriver bits to match the application. These heat treats are specified by a letter suffix as follows: X - Hardest heat treat in the industry I - Intermediate hardness R - Lowest hardness Our experienced staff can help in selecting the best heat treat for your particular application. Apex bits & sockets last ten longer than most of our competition.

If you really want to know more:

DanG

Full of it today, aren't we?

I did once think I was perfect. I never want to be that sick again.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

It is if you don't know dick and are trying to evade the subject.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

According to this reference, the bits I've been snapping off are the small-diameter "limited clearance" phillips bits. They are smaller diameter apparently for no reason other than to allow access in restricted spaces.

Now I know...

Thanks, DanG!

Ain't USENET great?! (Chinese spam, 2-party bickering, and "Google Is The Answer" 'bots, notwithstanding...)

FBt

Reply to
Esther & Fester Bestertester

Robert Allison posted for all of us...

Yup the r stands for reduced shank - the shank is only as wide as the wings while a reguler bit is the 1/4 hex size.

Reply to
Tekkie®

replying to Esther & Fester Bestertester, Malcom wrote: I’m in construction, and recently found these PR2 bits. I love them! They fit snugly into the screw and I don’t have them pop out nearly as often as the standard P2. I’ve used them in everything from draywall screws to wider set brass toilet flange screws.

Reply to
Malcom

So you are doing a home project with drywall, paint, trim, and probably a bunch of other stuff. Probably costly. A 28 mile round trip is maybe a gallon and a half of gas, about $3.

Add another few bucks and take your wife out for coffee along they way and enjoy some time together. Then do the job the right way.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski