"P" trap

When installing a new "P" trap under a bathroom vanity how is it sealed into the drain pipe in the wall? The one that was removed was so rotted it came out in so many pieces that I could not tell if it was soldered or held in with caulk. The inside of the copper drain pipe cleaned up nice so I don't think it was soldered but not sure what was there. This house is over 50 year's old pre PVC.
Thanks
Joe
Were there threads on the copper drain? The most usual thing I see is a standard slip compression type gasket that slips over the piece that exits the "P" trap. The seal is acheived by the nut that tightens over the threaded drain pipe that exits the wall. Richard
I was afraid of that the end if the pipe I am working on is peeled back like a banana, I guess the best thing to do would be remove a section of the wall so I can braze on a new threaded section Joe

As Richard said, the pipe sticking out of the wall is usually threaded for use with a compression gasket.
However, if you have an inch or two of good pipe still sticking out of the wall, you can use a "Fernco Coupler" to connect the trap pipe to the pipe in the wall. These are big rubber bands that slip over each pipe, and have a band clamp at each end to tighten it to the pipe. They come in a variety of sizes and in reducing versions as well. Most home centers like Lowes and Home Depot carry them, as do virtually all plumbing stores. Most sizes cost around $5 or less.
I've used Fernco couplers several times in the past while doing plumbing repairs on my in-laws house. They have old galvanized piping that corroded and broke in places. I cut the pipe back to where it's still intact, then use the Fernco coupler to connect new PVC piping. Works great for repair situations like this.
I also used them in our new house to join PVC and ABS pipes where there wasn't room for male/female adapters, and for the shower/tub traps in our crawlspace (easy installation and removable for future maintenance).
Anthony
HerHusband wrote: snip / / / /

A little keeper to file away for posible future use. Thanks. Frank
Joe wrote:

I'm no plumber but I would be surprised if it were soldered. Waste pipe is not under any pressure so there is really no need.
--
Thank you,

CL Gilbert

probably $400 there just in the copper alone. This is near Chicago and there was this union.....

make it fit and "modified" it. When you open it up you might find that it is adapted to regular galvanized pipe. That would be nice. Richard

probably $400 there just in the copper alone. This is near Chicago and there was this union.....

make it fit and "modified" it. When you open it up you might find that it is adapted to regular galvanized pipe. That would be nice. Richard
Shouldn't that be PEE Trap? I thought they called them that because guys pee in the sink when they get drunk?????