ozonator in a hot tub question

Are these ok for the environment?
Why ozone in a hot tub, id worry about your breathing it first. There are set regulations for exposure to ozone.
m Ransley wrote:

I don't know why ozone in a hot tub that's the way the hot tubs were being sold? I had never heard of it and am wondering if it puts out ozone into the air and if there is any other concerns I SHould know about. Of course the sales person said it was perfectly safe.

It's fine. It greatly reduces, but does not entirely eliminate the need for chemicals.
BB

need for some spa chemicals, but it also has it's own costs. One being the initial cost of the ozone unit, and another being replacement elements. The less expensive ozone units have relatively expensive bulbs, that may need to be replaced yearly, give or take. The more expensive units (Corona discharge) last many more years without needing service.
So I'm not really sure in the long run which is less expensive. For now were sticking to the chemical system, ours gives us excellent water quality, and isn't really too expensive.

Interesting observation about possible premature aging of plastic. I haven't seemed to have that problem in my tub. I just replaced my cover after 5 years. Most Spa techs seem to think a cover is good for between 3 - 4 years, so I think the ozone isn't hurting anything. It's a pretty trivial amount of ozone being introduced in any case.
I use a 2 part bromine system, and the ozonator cut my chemistry amounts by more than half. I have the lamp type ozonator, and at 5 years, the lamp is still working, and has not needed replacement. I can replace the whole ozonator for about $200, or the lamp for a lot less, so it has paid for itself several times over in chemistry savings. Naturally, the amount of use you tub gets, how precise you are about water balance, and other factors will all affect results.
BB