Oversized door - 82"Hx36.25"W

Just bought our first home and we're looking at fixing up/replacing a few things.
The front door measures 82" tall by 36 1/4" wide. Most of the doors I'm seeing online are only 80" tall.
How would we go about finding a door to match the size of this one? Do we just pad the frame with 2" of wood or some other material?
Thanks for any advice you can give.
------------------------------------- .::::::::.. ..::::::::. ::::::::::::: ::::::::::::: :::::::::::' .\ /. `::::::::::: `::::::::::_,__o o__,_::::::::::'
On 6/6/2011 8:23 AM, CelticWhisper wrote: ...

Order it...
If you're looking for cheap, look for a 7-0 (84) and cut it down--they're more common than 6-10 (82)
If in sizable metro area, find the reclaimed building products outlet(s); many times they'll have many old doors and many of them were oversize by today's "standard" from older, larger houses. Often as good or better quality than new imports that one finds at the box stores.
On Jun 6, 9:23am, CelticWhisper

Is there a Norandex-Reynolds dealer near you?
They carry doors, windows, siding, etc. from numerous manufacturers. A lot on contractors and builders use them, but they also sell to homeowners at prices that are usually cheaper than the Home Centers.
I've bought all of my replacement windows and a front entry door from them. The best way I can describe their prices is "whatever price the home center has for a product, you'll get a "one step upgrade" from Norandex-Reynolds for the same price. In other words, for the price of stock windows at the home center, you can upgrade by one level and pay the same price. At least that's been my experience.
The counter guys should be able to work with you to find (or have made) a door to fit your opening.
On Jun 6, 8:23am, CelticWhisper

For a newbie, replacing a front door is major work. Make darned sure there is a reason to do so other than cosmetics or a perceived fashion fault. Also, have a real hard look at all the functional aspects of the house, and if possible hire a honest to God building inspector to go over the place and help you prioritize the really important and costly problems that exist. Life will be much more serene if you know way in advance what things will need a lot of your time and $$ and get prepared for them. Assuming the door is indeed a problem, get some help in determining if it is simply just taking one out and putting another in. You may really need a new prehung assembly which would require some framing mods or similar skilled carpentry. Might be a good idea to hit the book racks at your box store and take home some of the excellent volumes there. Black and Decker books are especially informative on some topics. Taunton Press and Amazon also have dozens of good books. Even YouTube videos can be very helpful. Good luck.
Joe
On Jun 6, 8:23am, CelticWhisper

If you go with an 82" door and cut it down, make sure you cut it some the opening for the handle and latch are at the same height as the fdoor you're taking out. A diffrence of more than 1/8" in location can spell disaster after you put the door up. Also, you can't necessarily cut the 2" off the top or bottom of the new door, you will have to see how it is built and how it will look after cutting.