Oversize gutters

As I write this, torrential Gulf Coast rain is flowing off the roof and overwhelming my recently cleaned 6" Cu gutters creating a mini waterfall and putting water into the nearby garage.2 gutter men have advised that gutters come no bigger than 6".True?

Reply to
Henry B.

You need more downspouts. One at each end is a start. In bad areas where a lot of water goes over the gutter a 3" high pice of matching metal can be added. This does not look great on the front of a home but everywhere else should be ok.

Reply to
AndrewJ

Do you have oversized downspouts and enuf of them? If you have a drainage system is it clogged?

Reply to
Art

Not true. It sounds like a case of we don't have it so "they" don't make it.

RB

Henry B. wrote:

Reply to
RB

The link does not carry any gutter larger than 6", what are you talking about? BTW, 6" is commercial size, there isn't a need for anything larger. Sufficient down drainage sounds like the problem, maybe undersized downs or like already mentioned, not enough downs.

Reply to
Phil

your problem must be the downspouts. are you using the correct size,

4"? if 2x3 leader more than 20ft apart, you might be overwhelming them.

I've seen plenty of commercial flat roofs, which drain here into this size gutter without a problem. there is no larger *standard* size gutter. you have commercial size now. any larger, which can be had, will look terrible. I've see larger ones on prefab metal buildings. they are LARGE and look Terrible.

Reply to
mg

There are 7" & 8" half rounds on that page when I go that link. Though I'm not sure a 8" halfround carries any more volume than a 6" square.

I'd be looking in that direction myself. I'd probably want to add a downspout if possible unless these are going directly into a gutter or sewer system. That's a lot of water to dump around a foundation.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

8" Cu gutters, will ship lengths up to 26'

charbroil bad

In a previous posting, Usenet was endowed with the following text from "Henry B." :

Not true. Rain gutters, like shoes, are available in different sizes for a reason. Some people have bigger feet issues... some people have bigger rain issues.

MA

Reply to
Micro Angelo

In a previous posting, Usenet was endowed with the following text from "Phil" :

Gutters come in many sizes. 6" gutter is a standard. It doesn't mean that it's the only thing that should be used. However, larger gutters alone will only increase the gutter capacity, not the drainage capacity. More, or larger, downspouts will increase drainage capacity.

MA

Reply to
Micro Angelo