Oversize gutters

As I write this, torrential Gulf Coast rain is flowing off the roof and overwhelming my recently cleaned 6" Cu gutters creating a mini waterfall and putting water into the nearby garage.2 gutter men have advised that gutters come no bigger than 6".True?
--
Hank

You need more downspouts. One at each end is a start. In bad areas where a lot of water goes over the gutter a 3" high pice of matching metal can be added. This does not look great on the front of a home but everywhere else should be ok.
Do you have oversized downspouts and enuf of them? If you have a drainage system is it clogged?

and
gutters
Not true. It sounds like a case of we don't have it so "they" don't make it.
http://nemecwholesale.com/products_halfround.html
RB
Henry B. wrote:

The link does not carry any gutter larger than 6", what are you talking about? BTW, 6" is commercial size, there isn't a need for anything larger. Sufficient down drainage sounds like the problem, maybe undersized downs or like already mentioned, not enough downs.

There are 7" & 8" half rounds on that page when I go that link. Though I'm not sure a 8" halfround carries any more volume than a 6" square.

I'd be looking in that direction myself. I'd probably want to add a downspout if possible unless these are going directly into a gutter or sewer system. That's a lot of water to dump around a foundation.
Jim
In a previous posting, Usenet was endowed with the following text from

Gutters come in many sizes. 6" gutter is a standard. It doesn't mean that it's the only thing that should be used. However, larger gutters alone will only increase the gutter capacity, not the drainage capacity. More, or larger, downspouts will increase drainage capacity.
MA

your problem must be the downspouts. are you using the correct size, 4"? if 2x3 leader more than 20ft apart, you might be overwhelming them.
I've seen plenty of commercial flat roofs, which drain here into this size gutter without a problem. there is no larger *standard* size gutter. you have commercial size now. any larger, which can be had, will look terrible. I've see larger ones on prefab metal buildings. they are LARGE and look Terrible.

8" Cu gutters, will ship lengths up to 26'
http://www.classicgutters.com/products/gutters/8gutter.html
In a previous posting, Usenet was endowed with the following text from

Not true. Rain gutters, like shoes, are available in different sizes for a reason. Some people have bigger feet issues... some people have bigger rain issues.
MA