Overly High water Pressure

Hello AHR
First time poster, long time reader.
been googling back the past threads on high pressure and I'd love to get some of your input on the situation as well
When I first bought this house (8 months ago), when ever I would turn on any faucet in the house after the water system had not been used for a while I would hear a knocking noise comming from under the floor close to where the water leaves the hotwater heater and enters the house. This would happen when the water was flowing, not when it stopped. (heater is in the garage, I am in TN) The kitchen faucet, the closest to the water heater makes a humming noise whenever it is turned on regardless of prior water usage, this stops when the screen is removed. I thought that maybe I had high water pressure, so I bought a simple guage from Home Depot, I screwed it onto the drain valve of the water heater and I got 120 psi, I checked outside on a bib and got the same 120. The next morning I checked before any showers or water had been run for the day, and got 100, then after 2 showers and reg morning activities I read again and got 80. I'm not so sure about the difference in the readings, but each reading has been above what I've seen as the "norm" If I install a pressure regulator will that decrease the flow in the back bathrooms? House is all 1 level with no basement so piping is run pretty much horizontally thru the whole house. haven't noticed any other problems aside from the knocking noise. I tried to add a few clamps to the pipe where the knocking seemed to be comming from, but that did not seem to make any difference. I can't see the pipes physically move when the noise happens.
The problem seemed to be worse during the summer and now into the fall it seems to happen less.
should I install a regulator? or should I try and clamp the pipes down some more under the house? If I install the regulator will I be able to open it back up to the same pressure I have now if it adversely affects flow in the back bathrooms?
Thanks for all you input
Dave
<< should I install a regulator? >>
Absolutely. A caveat, be sure to check the flow rate of the regulator and buy the one with the highest GPM that fits your budget. The most commonly quoted system pressure for municipal water is around 50 PSI, so that will be where you could do your initial setting. If flow in the furthest part of your plumbing seems impeded, check for undersized or clogged pipes. HTH
Joe
Notice where the nearest Water Tank (elevated storage) is to your house. It may be not only elevated but upon a hill. Or, you may be down in a valley.
Actually, I am on a hill and I don;t see any water towers but, I checked my neighbors, and they are running high too. guess its time to get a quote from a couple of plumbers
Dave

JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk wrote:

Hi, No regulator? Tony