Overlooked by many DIYourselfer's

"For the do-it-yourself remodeler, obtaining permits is expensive, time-consuming and sometimes frustrating, but for many home renovations it's necessary and required. Some municipalities charge 1% of the total construction costs to issue the permit and may take up to six weeks to complete the inspections. That's time and money that some homeowners don't have. Many homeowners sidestep the permit process as a result."
Examples: "...cutting a hole for a new window..." "Even something as simple as moving an outlet requires a permit." "Most municipalities require a permit for siding projects." "If you want to replace your water heater, you will need a permit." "You'll need a permit to unclog a toilet or sink drain" (just kidding)
http://homes.yahoo.com/news/home-improvements-that-require-permits.html
Must really suck to live in a community that requires permits for anything more involved than painting the hallway.

^^?
The above needs some explanation.

Will guns still need to be registered? I see a problem, here.

Ok, what is a WH? Oh, "water heater"? A permit is required to replace a water heater? Amazing.

A plumber around here is advertising a 40 gal heater for $600, including "basic" installation.

Really!
Why would I?

I'm still confused. If registration isn't required, why register? ...or is there a problem with the two counties if you don't register it? Here people get "registered" (CCL) not guns. For some reason I had to fill out a yellow sheet for my last gun purchase (a month ago), though.

The yellow sheet was ATF Form 4474. It, and the informtion on it, stays with the seller unless and until he goes out of business.
In my state, and a few others, if you have a CHL (CCL), the dealer does NOT make the call to the NICS to verify you are permitted to buy a gun.

Sure but there wasn't any need to fill it out.

They're not supposed to have to here, either, nor fill out the yellow sheet (which isn't yellow, here).

Er, no. Form 4473 (not 4474 as previously thought) is required to be completed before a Federal Firearms License holder (the dealer) can sell the weapon.
Code of Federal Regulations: 478.124 Firearms transaction record.
"(a) A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer shall not sell or otherwise dispose, temporarily or permanently, of any firearm to any person, other than another licensee, unless the licensee records the transaction on a firearms transaction record, Form 4473: Provided, That a firearms transaction record, Form 4473, shall not be required to record the disposition made of a firearm delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or customizing when such firearm or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom received."
But you ARE right - the form is not yellow. It's more of a dusky goldenrod.
Cut us some slack, though. We men know the names of about eight primary colors. Women have more names for "tan" than the Eskimos have for "snow."

GA and FL, anyway, are supposed to have a route around that with their CCL process.

This one was gray. Not a hint of color on it (well, before the blue ink).

Again, Er, no. If a state CCL meets certain federal requirements, the CCL (CHL) holder is exempt from the FBI NICS check to determine whether the buyer is ineligible to purchase a firearm. That regulation has nought to do with the ATF requirement that gun sales from FFL dealers be recorded on a form 4473.
Oren wrote:

It must suck to live in a state where any guns are registered or where citizens must possess a license to own one.

I don't have to register guns nor is there any licensing for ownership. There is a license required for concealed carry, though. It's a pain and rather expensive ($70 for five years), so it's not as good as VT, AZ, or AK. It does have the advantage of reciprocity that VT doesn't have.
Permits aren't required if the homeowner does the job, at least in my state. Though, if they ever sell the house, they best make sure things are up to code or find ignorant buyers.

Don't go there.
Sadly, many people are. http://offgridsurvival.com/gunbansafterelection / Going there.

Don't go there.
On 10/17/2012 1:26 PM, HeyBub wrote:

no it doesn't suck, we just ignore them.
--
Steve Barker