Overhead Door Recomendations

Hi!
I have to replace my garage door, probably this weekend. The one I have now is almost in two pieces... :-(
I was wondering if anybody can suggest a decent brand to go with so I can tackle this myself. Ideally, I'd like something that is easy to install and takes the least amount of time. I had my eyes on the doors and Menards where you use your drill to wind the springs along with the iDrive. But then, I have heard bad things about them so I don't know which one to choose.
Thanks in advanced for any information!!!
My parents have an Wayne Dalton Idrive with a double wayne dalton door. About 4.5 years old now. No problems t all. I probably would only buy the WD IDrive with a WD door even though they make a model for other doors.
If you have a wd store near you, check their prices. They may be low enuf to let them install it. In Raleigh, NC the store has good service.

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 18:10:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Brands are like comparing apples to oranges. The Wayne IDrive is perfect but you won't be installing it. They also offer a great line of doors with their openers.

I have a guy that installs and services garage doors for me, and he isn't too fond of the iDrive system. I believe he was concerned about everything staying in alignment.
Check this out:
http://www.garageopener.info/reviews/17/wayne-dalton-garage-door-opener /
Google is your friend...
I have installed the Menard's doors with the drill wound springs, and they seem ok, but they seem lower quality than what you get from a real garage door store. If you have never wound a torsion spring before, they can be really scary.
I am confused by your statement that your current door is "almost in two pieces". Do you have a door that tilts up? Most standard garage doors come in 4 or 5 sections.
Good luck.
JK

Sorry, I probably should have explained what happened. The door is probably about 16x7. The top/upper two panels...well, the first panel, something happened and the garage door panel got jambed and it bent it all up. Because of that, a crack started to develop and it was pretty fragile. I rigged it and it's been working alright for the past year. But now, last night, the first and second panel got jambed on something and now the second panel is all bent up. It's kind of like the door got stuck on something and the opener kept going and crinkled the two panels.
It still works...but I'm not sure how much longer it will be alright for. Just out of curiosity, approximately how much do you think it would be for a door, opener, and have it professional installed? How much money would I be saving if I did it myself? I really don't need anything fancy since the garage is detached from the house...so I really don't need insulation. But I was thinking of going with the "middle quality" door.
Thanks in advanced!

>snip<
You'll have to get that answer on your own. Hit the Yellow Pages, call the people and get quotes. Good luck.
Joe
I would first check a Wayne Dalton store if there is one near you. They were much cheaper than Lowes and the door and IDrive was then factory installed instead of Lowes sending someone who didn't know what they were doing. It was almost 5 years ago and the price was very reasonable for an insulated door plus IDrive but I don't remember numbers and they are irrelevant now.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
SNIP HAPPENS

Before I put a new door set and opener in, I'd spend a lot of time trying to find out what the old door "jambed" on twice and correct that problem.
Even if you are replacing all tracks with the new install, you need to look around for possileity of stuff you have stored in the garage causing your jammed doors.
Well, I think I figured out why the door buckled. Turns out that you need a re-inforcement bracket that mounts to the top of the door that my garage door did not have. Oh well... I did go out and pick up a new door and opener, so we shall see how the installation goes tomorrow. It's an "Ideal Door" and Chamberlain opener. Hopefully it will go smoothly, but we shall see...
Thanks for all the help, Mike