overflowing dishwasher

My sister called me today saying that her dishwasher suddenly started to overflow onto the floor. She used it the day before and all was fine. What could be the cause? She said that occasionally the main sewer line out of her house gets clogged and has to be cleared by a plumber. Thanks for any advice.
Are any other drains backing up? If not its the water supply inlet valve thjats is causing your overflow problem. It's easy to find it's right in the front of most DW's and will have your feed line most likely 3/8's copper going to it and also a couple of wires. Good job for the DIY and your sister will think your a hero!
<< What could be the cause? >>
Some dishwashers have a water level switch in the bottom. If this has failed or is blocked by debris overflows can occur. HTH
Joe

failed or

front corner of the bottom. It should move up and down easily. It is just a float that when it rises, shuts off the water valve. Quite common to get stuck.
Good bet! I had one of these get stuck a few years back and the dishwasher overflowed.
Check the door and all the hinges, make sure they are on correctly. Sometime if I have too much weight on the door, the plastic lip at the bottom can snap out and will cause leaking.

What

Hi,
No d/w make or model# posted....but some posible trouble makers: - wrong soap used - over filling ( float switch, fill valve ) - not draining ( clogged/restricted drain or drain hose ) - just plain old leaking out the door rather than overflowing ( http://www.applianceaid.com/dishleaks.html )
The acual cause and correction would have to be investigated.
jeff.