Overfilled the Engine oil in the Craftsman riding lawnmower

I overfilled the engine oil in the Craftsman 15 HP riding lawnmower by a couple of inches. The mower still works but there is oil leaking now below the engine oil fill tube probably at its o-ring below or at least underneath on the side of the Fill tube. .The drain nut is tight and it does not leak around that...Its somewhere else...Either at the o-ring or some other gasket underneath
This all started when I was trying to change the deck belt..then I thought I might as well change oil...
Do I need to drain the excess and the leak will stop or I now need to put new gaskets/o-rings.
My lawnmower is 6-8 years old in excellent condition.
The lawnmower runs fine and there is no smoke.
Please advise.
Thanks.
Subash
On Friday, July 26, 2013 3:44:01 PM UTC-4, Subash wrote:

Who knows? But since there is way too much oil in it, getting the excess out of there seems like the place to start, no? The oil that's leaking may just be overflowing from a vent, etc.

<...snipped...>
Most likely draining the oil to the correct level will be all you need. A couple inches is pretty extreme overfill for a 15hp engine. It is probably leaking out of a crankcase vent somewhere no readily visible.

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 20:47:46 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Hopefully you don't have a Tucumseh pressurized system. ** Lonesome Dove
Sabash:
Go to your local recycling bins and liberate any plastic bottle with a pump cap, like this:
http://www.colouredbottles.co.uk/images2/R28PumpWhite.jpg
Then, just get a short piece of vinyl tubing at any hardware store that'll fit over the bottom of the pump cap, and pump the excess oil out of your mower engine.
That way, you have everything you need on hand for the next time you do this.
--
nestork

"nestork" wrote in message
Sabash:
Go to your local recycling bins and liberate any plastic bottle with a pump cap, like this:
http://www.colouredbottles.co.uk/images2/R28PumpWhite.jpg
Then, just get a short piece of vinyl tubing at any hardware store that'll fit over the bottom of the pump cap, and pump the excess oil out of your mower engine.
That way, you have everything you need on hand for the next time you do this.
--
nestork

That is a good idea. May find use for this idea sometime . WW
replying to Larry W , Subash wrote:

Thanks a lot for all the sincere and well meaning suggestions received....Draining the oil to correct level did the trick...The mower works perfectly well now.
Thanking you.
Subash
Subash wrote:

Isn't there a crankcase drain, like a pipe sticking out of the bottom of the engine with a screw-on cap? How else would you change the oil?
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I was checking my oil after misfiring, and leaking oil- gas ? under carb. My oil is way high. I'm going to drain in case gas went into oil. I've had two generators leaking gas out carb. Guess stuck floats.
Greg
Red Green;3097986 Wrote: > Oren Oren@127.0.0.1 wrote in

C'mon guys.
This Sabash person obviously knows nothing about small engines, and this forum is supposed to be about giving GOOD advice.
Let's not intentionally give BAD advice in the name of being "funny". We're talking to someone who can't tell good advice from bad advice, and could very well put f#cking water in their f#cking ride-on lawn mower's crank case just because they were told to by some f#cking comedian in here.
After all, how would any one of us feel if we were asking about the very best way to finish our new vinyl composition tile flooring, and some comedian in here told us to put a 17 percent solids acrylic floor finish down first, and then put an acrylic sealer down over that finish.... ....just to be "funny".
I sure as he11 wouldn't think that was "funny" if I followed that advice and now had to strip off all that sealer and finish and redo the whole job; properly this time.
--
nestork

This is Usenet, not a web forum. Do some research, and come back when you can find us.
. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .