Over-the-range microwave recommendations

The microwave I want to replace (an over-the-range Whirlpool circa

1992) has a heat sensor that automatically turns on the fan when the cooking gets too hot. I asked a salesman today about the heat sensors, and he didn't have a clue. Even stated that none of the microwaves has this feature. (Anyone have info about this?)

I doubt the steam caused any harm to your microwave oven. My microwave has worked since 1992 and I have not replaced any interior nor exterior bulbs and I've boiled tons of spaghetti.

So far, I've found a Maytag to have the best c>I had a G.E. in the early 1980s that was a workhorse. A few years ago I

Reply to
Phisherman

Salesman is a twit. I think probably most, if not all, have this feature.

From the Kitchen Aid and Whirlpool manual To protect the microwave oven, the vent fan will automatically

turn on at the HIGH setting if the temperature from the range or

cooktop below gets too hot. It may stay on for up to one hour to

cool the microwave oven. When this occurs, the VENT FAN pads

will not function.

From the Sharp microwave manual"

FAN HI/LO

The fan will automatically start when heat rises from

range surface units or burners. This protects the microwave

oven from excessive temperature rise. The fan

will stay on until the temperature decreases. It cannot

be turned off manually during this time.

For other uses, press FAN HI/LO button one time for

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Phisherman

I bought a stainless steel eWave at HD about 2 years ago. It was half the price ($169) of anything even close. I figured, what the hell, for that kind of money I'll take a chance. Also both sales people I asked at different times said they have never had one come back. Anyway, been 2 years so far and it has worked flawlessly. Very easy to use, and all the buttons do exactly what they say. By that I mean if I punch in defroast 2 pounds of meat, it does it. If I say cook 16oz of frozen veggies, they come out exactly right.

I have to recommend them. you really can't go wrong for the money.

-Jim

Reply to
jtpryan

Yeah, $450 -now- is a lot (for me) to spend on a microwave. Back then, that is like spending, well, a lot more (i have no idea about the dollar relation). I had a sharp carosel I left at my last work place. I assume it is still working. From ~1984. One dial.

Reply to
chester

Well Chester, that was the 70's when microwaves were new on the scene....now they are much cheaper and in some cases better designed and nuke the food faster.....have a great one, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

My 1976 Share Carousel is still going strong and better yet it's color has (almost) come back into style again.

Reply to
samfroe

Reply to
Brian O