Over-the-range microwave recommendations

Page 2 of 2

Well Chester, that was the 70's when microwaves were new on the scene....now they are much cheaper and in some cases better designed and nuke the food faster.....have a great one, Ross
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:35:09 -0500, in alt.home.repair "Ross Mac"

My 1976 Share Carousel is still going strong and better yet it's color has (almost) come back into style again.
We bought a Sears MW back in the 70s. Its still working. B

better
dollar
it
scene....now
I had a G.E. in the early 1980s that was a workhorse. A few years ago I bought a Sharp Carousel that crapped out after a year or so. *However*!! It might have been my fault. I was boiling a large pot of potatoes on a back burner and condensation collected on the bottom of the microwave. The next time I turned it on I heard a loud POP! Fuse(s) blown. I guess theoretically that could happen to any brand. However, the Sharp had a couple other glitches which I found annoying, such as going through (incandescent) appliance bulbs at the rate of one or two a month and starting automatically when the door was opened and closed (even after the timer was off). I might have just gotten a strange one, though. Every other Sharp item I ever owned was excellent.
The microwave I want to replace (an over-the-range Whirlpool circa 1992) has a heat sensor that automatically turns on the fan when the cooking gets too hot. I asked a salesman today about the heat sensors, and he didn't have a clue. Even stated that none of the microwaves has this feature. (Anyone have info about this?)
I doubt the steam caused any harm to your microwave oven. My microwave has worked since 1992 and I have not replaced any interior nor exterior bulbs and I've boiled tons of spaghetti.
So far, I've found a Maytag to have the best construction. I am not impressed with Amana. The Samsung has the light toward the back of the unit which is not where I need light most often.

Salesman is a twit. I think probably most, if not all, have this feature.
From the Kitchen Aid and Whirlpool manual To protect the microwave oven, the vent fan will automatically
turn on at the HIGH setting if the temperature from the range or
cooktop below gets too hot. It may stay on for up to one hour to
cool the microwave oven. When this occurs, the VENT FAN pads
will not function.
From the Sharp microwave manual"
FAN HI/LO
The fan will automatically start when heat rises from
range surface units or burners. This protects the microwave
oven from excessive temperature rise. The fan
will stay on until the temperature decreases. It cannot
be turned off manually during this time.
For other uses, press FAN HI/LO button one time for
Thanks Edwin. I finding out most of the units are pretty much the same. Most with rather flimsy locking doors. It's interesting to see where these microwave ovens are made, Korea, China, etc. Any made in USA?!?

I bought a stainless steel eWave at HD about 2 years ago. It was half the price ($169) of anything even close. I figured, what the hell, for that kind of money I'll take a chance. Also both sales people I asked at different times said they have never had one come back. Anyway, been 2 years so far and it has worked flawlessly. Very easy to use, and all the buttons do exactly what they say. By that I mean if I punch in defroast 2 pounds of meat, it does it. If I say cook 16oz of frozen veggies, they come out exactly right.
I have to recommend them. you really can't go wrong for the money.
-Jim