Over-Range Microwave installation

I am replacing an over-the-range microwave that had failed. I've got the old one down, but have discovered that the holes in the cabinetry from the previous microwave not only don't line up with those needed for this one, but overlap (so I can't just drill new holes, because the old ones would destabilize the new ones). It seems like this can't be an uncommon problem--how is it normally handled?

Drill new holes the best you can, and then use washers to cover the oversized holes.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

There are a number of approaches. I might suggest drilling out the existing holes and filling them with wood dowels.
Of course this is one reason I would never use an over the range microwave if I could avoid it.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
washers or get thin steel slip it in place, mark and drill.
I had a over range microwave / rangehood in my last home and will do so again