oven went out

Page 1 of 2
We were using the oven when we noticed that there was no power to it (it was in the middle of cooking and was still hot). I looked at the circuit breakers and none were tripped. I ran my finger down the breakers and it came back on. Then I switched the breaker off and back on, but it would not come back on. I tried this several times - it would never come back on, so I switched it off.
The oven is 14-15 years old. Where is the problem likely to be? With the circuit breaker?
On 3/4/2012 3:38 PM, Jan Philips wrote:

It would be a coincidence if the oven came back on when you disturbed the breaker. I'd vote for the breaker, or loose wire at the breaker.
Then I switched the breaker off and

Yes.
The oven going off and on by touching the breaker raises the probability a lot.
Try switching breakers. (If you have another breaker with the same amperage.)
--
Dan Espen

Not many people have a spare double 50 breaker.
Try switching breakers. (If you have another breaker with the same amperage.)
--
Dan Espen

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 20:38:15 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

He may not, but he may have a 40 for the dryer. It is enough to determine if it is the breaker or the range. Other checks are the top burners. If they are OK, it is probably not the breaker but the range switches or wiring.
Most people who have the skill to swap out a 40 breaker with a 50 would have done so already. Not a lot of people know how to do that task.
He may not, but he may have a 40 for the dryer. It is enough to determine if it is the breaker or the range. Other checks are the top burners. If they are OK, it is probably not the breaker but the range switches or wiring.
On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 07:18:53 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

I presume it's the same as replacing a 40 with a 40, right? I don't know tho if it's save to replace a 40 with a 50 unless you really know what you are doing and I don't mean by that, just swapping circuit breakers out.

You can get a double pole 50amp breaker for under $10. Not much downside to just replacing it and seeing if the problem disappears.

Just to check for power, not a big deal. If you turned all the burners and oven on, worst case is you'd pop the breaker.

I'm not qualified to do that, so I'll call an electrician.

Probably wise, but those breakers in your breaker panel snap in and snap out. No tools required but basic knowledge of how electricity works is. If you don't understand hot wire and ground, stay away.
Of course if that's all that's needed, the electrician won't charge much.
--
Dan Espen

What is much? Some charge $100 to walk through the door. Ask first what the minimum is.
Two drink minimum, probably?

What is much? Some charge $100 to walk through the door. Ask first what the minimum is.
On 3/5/2012 5:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If the electrician is an independent service tech he/she/it may give you a break for something simple. You can always ask for more stuff to be checked out if it can be done during the time of a minimum charge. An electrician from a large service organization can't cut a deal because of company policy. An experienced residential handyman should be a lot less expensive to call out for a simple breaker swap.
TDD

All the tradesman I know make a first visit to my house to assess the work and know what to come back with.
I don't get charged for that.
So if he charges $100 for 2 trips to my house, and maybe a trip for parts, I'm not complaining.
I haven't met many rich repairmen either.
BUT, I do 99% of small jobs myself.
--
Dan Espen

Jan Philips wrote:

It's cheaper to trot down to the box store and buy a replacement breaker (about $30). Here's how:
1. Turn off the power to the whole house. It's the BIG switch at the top of the panel. 2. Remove the panel cover (2 to 4 screws). 3. Remove the wires to the paired breaker (2 screws). 4. Take out the breaker. They generally lock on one side and are push-secured to the other. 5. Take breaker to store. Say "Gimme one like this." 6. Repeat steps 4 through 1 in reverse order.
As you can see, the only special requirement is whether your hand fits a screwdriver.
If you follow the instructions above - perhaps with a helper to double check - you will save:
a. Electrician service call $80-$120 b. Retail cost of breaker ($30 + markup = $120).
Let us know how it worked out.
I'd vote for the helper. Some tasks, it's wise to watch several before you do one. This is such a moment.
Jan, please ask around. Someone you know, or a friend of a friend probably has the skills to swap out breaker, and do it safely. Bub is a kind fellow, but I think his advice is incorrect, at this moment.
It's cheaper to trot down to the box store and buy a replacement breaker (about $30). Here's how:
On 3/5/2012 4:49 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Um, what kind of fellow is he? o_O
TDD
Bub is the kind of fellow who can change out a breaker. I kind of think he would kindly offer, perhaps being kind enough to trade for service in kind, such as baking one kind or other of cookies, in the repaired oven, which would bring the kindness to the home. Well, kind of.

Um, what kind of fellow is he? o_O
TDD
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I used to stand under the freeway overpass with a sign reading: "Will Work For Sex".
I had to get one of those "Back at (clock-face) o'clock" signs to attach to the placard while I was out on a job.