Oven temperature

We have a 13 yo frigidaire self-cleaning electric stove which has always tended to burn muffins, cakes etc but not other types of food. The thermostat appears to maintain the temperature but could it possibly be staying on too long? I have replaced the bottom element twice, due to burnout, but that has not resolved the problem. Possibly, there is not enough insulation? How long should the oven retain a temp of 300F before the element comes back on?

Reply to
Martik

Maybe the thermostat for the oven is not reading true. You should measure the actual temp with a known -to- be- accurate thermometer...then compare it with the ovens thermometer setting.

Reply to
HVAC IsFun

It is about 50F too high, but we compensate for it

Reply to
Martik

Does your oven have a fan? Maybe the recipies you are using assume you have a fan oven, which distributes heat more evenly.

Reply to
Steve Gibbs

not that it helps your problem, but if you take the knob off theres a little screw on the back that you can loosten and adjust the knob to make it display correctly.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Baked good would be more sensitive to wide temperature fluctuations than say, a roast of beef. The sugars are going to burn quicker than muscle.

I'd guess that you are getting a wider variation than most ovens. You may want to get one of the thermometers with a probe and remote reading to watch the fluctuation. I think they top out at about 300 or 330 degrees though so you'd have to experiment at no more than 300. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If a self-cleaning oven needs more insulation than most stoves to avoid burning the house down during the higher-temp cleaning cycle, it may use less power in normal mode. It burns low-thermal-mass foods?

The temperature might overshoot if the thermostat has a large mass compared to the heater. Adding more thermal mass might help. You might sprinkle some gravel or "lava rocks" around or over the heating element.

You might check that too, and add some, or plug up some air leaks.

A 2' cube with R10 insulation and no air leaks and a thermal conductance G = 6x2'x2'/R10 = 2.4 Btu/h-F and C = 10 Btu/F of thermal capacitance and RC = C/G = 4.2 hours would cool from 330 to 300 F in a 70 F room when 300 = 70+(330-70)e^(-t/4.2), after t = 4.2ln((300-70)/(330-70)) = 0.51 hours.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

"Burn" them on the top, bottom, both???

I would tend to agree with Ed as the following excerpt suggests you have a problem in the thermostat already which is apparent to you. In which case the thermostat may need to be replaced to correct any deficiencies rather than just attempting to work around them.

The cookware and position of the racks being used can also cause poor baking results as can a blocked oven vent which on models with coil top burners may be located underneath one of the rear elements. In the latter case using aluminum pans under the elements without a center hole in them or leaving a kettle, etc. on the element which covers the oven vent can cause such problems.

If you can better describe the condition of the poor cooking results and the cooking utensils being used, we may be able to suggest other, non-mechanical possibilities as well.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

When cooking muffins for only 10 mins (oven preheated to 400F) the bottoms are burnt to approx 1/16". The pan is dark coloured metal.

Reply to
Martik

Hi,

Model#?

Yes it could, has anybody checked the oven temps or checked the on and off temps when the oven temp is cycling on and off?

EG: set oven for 350ºF the oven does not just go to 350º and stay there....it will heat above the temp set and shut off, the oven cools below the temp set and comes back on. 350ºF may be 375º off and oven cools to 325º and comes back on, but the average or mean temp is 350º.

The elements do not regulate the temps....oven control, electronic clock, oven temp sensor, relays ( depending on the model/style ) will control the oven temps.

Probably not...too little would likely cause lower temps, or heat loss too quickly giving lower temps.

Some ways to adjust the oven temps....

If you have coil elements, make sure no one has used tin foil under the surface burners and the foil is blocking the ovens vent.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Are you waiting until the preheat light goes out before starting to cook? You are attempting to cook them at the correct temperature according to the recipe?

Things which can cause burning on the top or bottom while baking include:

- Oven not preheated.

- Rack position too high or too low.

- Using glass, darkened, warped or dull finish metal pans.

- Rack position too high or too low.

- Pans touching each other or touching the oven walls.

- Pans too large for oven area (there needs to be space around them for air to circulate)

- Oven temperature too high.

I think #3 might have a lot to do with it in your case as well as possibly #6 as well.

Try using a shinny new pan and see if it helps.

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

M > We have a 13 yo frigidaire self-cleaning electric stove which has always M > tended to burn muffins, cakes etc but not other types of food. The M > thermostat appears to maintain the temperature but could it possibly be M > staying on too long? I have replaced the bottom element twice, due to M > burnout, but that has not resolved the problem. Possibly, there is not M > enough insulation? How long should the oven retain a temp of 300F before th

M > element comes back on?

Not that this answers the question at all but we have a Whirlpool Accubake gas oven -- baked goods come out evenly cooked; previous ovens (in rented housing and the 'old' one here at the house) had uneven baking. The 'old' oven here has been moved to the kitchenette area in the basement -- cooking down there helps keep the first floor cool in the summer.

  • Headline: Child's stool great for use in garden
Reply to
barry martin