Oven, Oven Clock stopped working

I have a White-Westinghouse electric oven from (probably) the mid-80s. It has a mechanical clock on the front, consisting of one dial that is the clock itself as well as a timer, and two dials to set the start and stop times for cooking. By pushing in the stop time dial it is set to manual.

Last night, in the middle of use, the oven stopped heating. At the time, I noticed that the clock is also not working. After making sure that the knob was set to manual, it still turned out to not be heating. The stove-top range works fine.

I opened the front panel to take a look, and the clock looks to be pretty well integrated into the panel--however there is a portion that can come off. As it looks like getting a new clock, or getting the clock rebuilt, is quite expensive (gathered from a google groups search), any suggestions for just bypassing the clock entirely?

-Tim

Reply to
The Enigmatic One

I assume you've checked the plug and circuit breaker...

Reply to
Doc

Yup. Both fine. As I said, the range is working fine. The oven light is as well. I always check the easy things first.

-Tim

Reply to
The Enigmatic One

Hi,

Checked the fuses?....checked for any burnt wires? If one of the house fuses or any seperate fuses let go the clock and oven could go off at the same time.

One would have to see the wiring diagram that comes with the oven to know how to bypass the clock.

With the model# and the ovens wiring diagram a local repair shop may be able to show how.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Just because the clocked stopped working does not necessarily mean the timer contacts for the oven failed. In fact, I would think that would be a fairly unlikely occurrence to happen at the same time. You might want to consider a little more checking.

You'd have to check the wiring diagram as Jeff said if you can't determine which contacts in the clock's timer switch open and close to bypass each of them.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Well, I figured it would be quite unlikely to happen at the same time and be unrelated (not necessarily a causal relationship, however.)

Yup. Went back in this past evening.

No wiring diagram. The manufacturer doesn't have any manuals available for this model. However, while poking around again, I noticed a wire not connecting to anything that was supposed to connect to the timer/clock. It had broken right at the terminal. As far as I can tell, the problem is fixed. (Though I still would love to find a wiring diagram and repair manual. Anyone have any ideas on where to find this for a mid-80s White-Westinghouse?)

-Tim

Reply to
The Enigmatic One

Glad to gear it.

There may not be a service manual for that specific model but they must have parts manuals. I don't know about a wiring diagram without specific information.

Without posting at least the model number (if not the serial number as well), I doubt anyone would be able to even begin to try to assist you there. If needed, you can find tips for locating the model and serial number tag on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site linked below.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

I have the model number and serial number. When I contacted White-Westing house a while back on a different issue, I was told there is no manual available at all for my model (owner's manual, that is.) RepairClinic.com is about the best page I've checked out, and it actually had some parts for this model, but no manual or diagram. All other parts and repair pages I checked didn't have anything for my model. I just checked your site, and it has some great looking info, but the links provided found me no matching repair or owners manual.

Anyway. If it helps, the model number is KD532ADK3.

-Tim

Reply to
The Enigmatic One

The Enigmatic One wrote

It is always a good idea to supply that information whenever asking specific questions about appliances. Designs and the components used in them change very often, there is no other way to identify the product being asked about.

I'm not surprised, it appears to be a ~1983 model. (at least that's when its parts list is dated.)

An owner's manual would not likely have a wiring diagram in it anyway. One is usually on each appliance somewhere. On older stove models pasted to the back cover of the appliance is common, on newer models it is often rolled or folded up inside the control panel.

There where 3 service manuals for that product. #'s L80SE9901, L80SE99011, L80SE99012. (the last 2 likely be supplements to the original.). I don't know where you'll find them but maybe if you can find a Westinghouse repair depot that has been in business that long or sometimes things like that come up for auction on eBay.

Older models like that will only rarely be found in any of the on-line services which are available.

Like I said, the on-line lookup services available usually deal with newer products although they may still carry the parts for older ones. If you needed something for your older model, you'd likely have to do it the old fashion way of contacting someone whom could look up your products on microfiche (microfilm) if you can't go by product pictures supplied by the retailers.

JFYI

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~