Oven not working

Oven: Magic Chef 31JN-2KLX-ON, Gas

I am trying to help my mom fix her oven, so the information I have comes through her. She says the oven has gradually taken longer and longer to light up. Now it does not light up at all, even after waiting for a couple of minutes. I know from looking at it myself that the stove top burners work fine. I know the electric igniter in the oven glows when you attempt to turn the oven on. I know the manual shut-off valve located under the "hood" is turned to the On position. The manual does not have a troubleshooting section. It looks to me that there are only two parts that could be at fault. It's either the igniter isn't getting hot enough to cause the gas valve to open or the gas valve isn't working. I would guess that just because the igniter glows doesn't necessarily mean it is working properly. Any suggestions guys?

Reply to
ATL

Yes, it can still glow but not work properly.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

ATL wrote:

Reply to
buffalobill

That's correct. Unless it's glowing quite brightly, my guess is it's the igniter -- it's a common problem.

Any suggestions guys?

Reply to
CJT

Pull the oven and see if there's a technician's sheet hidden in there, or inside one of the panels. That has the secret you are seeking, Grasshoppa.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Igniter isn't pulling the right amps to open the gas valve. Depending on the igniter it should be a little over 3 amps.

Reply to
shebaaa

Just a followup. We replaced the igniter and that was the problem. Thanks to all who responded.

Reply to
ATL