Oven Light Bulb Update

I checked the voltage on the bulbs that have been burning out in the oven; they're 120. I found a 130 volt version on Amazon and will send for a coupl e of those. I thought an LED bulb might last longer but I couldn't find any oven LEDs.
I removed the dead bulb and screwed in the receptable/socket adapter. I fou nd that the voltage at the socket varied between the extremes of 120-106 ov er the course of a few minutes but generally hung around 112. I tried turni ng on the oven heating element and the stove top burners to see if there wa s any bleed-over of the higher voltage but that made no difference.
Digression: I was a bit concerned about the fluctuation in voltage so I tri ed a few outlets around the house; they all had about the same range. Is th is something I should be concerned about? Maybe I should check the breaker box to make sure all of the connections are tight.
Back to the kitchen: Unplugging the stove, I checked the socket for defects and found none. I did clean it out with a 12ga shotgun cleaning bronze bru sh and bent the center contact tab up a bit to ensure good contact. After v acuuming out the socket, I replaced the bulb. I noticed that it screwed in much easier this time; maybe there had been some carbonization of the threa ds or something in the socket.
Plugged it in and turned on the light; the new bulb lit. Hopefully it will last for a while.
Paul
On 07/26/2015 10:09 AM, Pavel314 wrote:

A variability _is_ an issue; if it is house-wide that indicates either a utility problem or possibly a grounding issue at the panel as an individual circuit or two wouldn't show up except on those affected circuits.

The voltage going to 106 seems to be way low. Power comming to the house is by 3 wires. Across two of them will be the full voltage and from either of those should be half the voltage. If there is more than 2 or 3 volts difference it is time to start looking for a problem. Usually the neutral wire is loose if this is found at several sockets in the house on different breakers.
If you could check several recepticals at the same time or with the same 120 volt devices turned on you may find some are at the 106 and some are around 130 or more volts. The total should add up to what ever is comming into the house on the 240 volt line.
On 07/26/2015 10:50 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote: ...

Good point to add the differential discussion...
What worried particularly is the apparent short-term variability; that implies something is really going on; shouldn't see much fluctuation at all other than the very short sag during a large appliance or A/C motor start and that shouldn't be long enough to even be able to read the actual dip on a manual meter...just a quick flicker that would be visible.

On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 10:09:52 AM UTC-5, Pavel314 wrote:

[...]

l last for a while.

From an earlier post of mine. Higher voltage bulb - less light
I noticed that the GE bulb is rated at 130. My current bulb is rate 120, s o the 130 will loose about 20% of it's light and will be at 350 lumens (if I read this chart right http://www.mendipcavinggroup.org.uk/sections/news/o ccpub2.html ) I did fail to list the operating voltage.
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 26 Jul 2015 10:28:42 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx.
You make a good point but the OP won't be reading a book in the oven and the light he gets is probably enough.
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 26 Jul 2015 08:09:45 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314

When cleaning with a shotgun, try to aim the gun at an angle, so the pellets are less likely to bounce off the socket and hit you.

Oh, a brush. Never mind.