Oven Light Bulb

The light bulb in our electric oven worked for a long time without problems ; I can't remember the last time I changed it until recently. When it burne d out a few weeks ago, I tried to unscrew it but the glass bulb came off of the metal base. I had to use a piece of wood to jam into the base and turn it for removal.

The new bulb lasted a couple weeks then burned out. I removed it in one pie ce and replaced it and now, after a couple weeks, it's burned out again.

Did I just get a string of bad bulbs or could there be another reason for t he quick burn outs? We're not doing any unusual cooking, same frequency, du ration, and temperatures as before.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

You should measure the voltage. IIUC electric stoves use what I call

220V but the light bulb and analog clock when they had them, and probably all the electronics now** use one leg of the 220 plus a neutral wire to get what I call 110 which is usually 117, no higher. Higher voltage will burn out bulbs.

What about other incandescent bulbs in your house? Are they burning out faster than normal?

I have a feeling there's something I'm leaving out.

**Well, it starts off at 117 but is dropped to 12 or so for the electronics.
Reply to
micky

When are you going to learn that the nominal voltage in the USA is

120volts and it has been for quite a few years now. :-?
Reply to
John G

ems; I can't remember the last time I changed it until recently. When it bu rned out a few weeks ago, I tried to unscrew it but the glass bulb came off of the metal base. I had to use a piece of wood to jam into the base and t urn it for removal.

piece and replaced it and now, after a couple weeks, it's burned out again.

r the quick burn outs? We're not doing any unusual cooking, same frequency, duration, and temperatures as before.

No problem with the rest of the bulbs in the house, just the oven bulb. I'l l try a voltage check.

Reply to
Pavel314

house, just the oven bulb. I'll try a voltage check.

I'm remembering a couple moments in my life where one brand of bulb didn't last very long. And when a different brand did fine.

Voltage check at the socket sounds like more work than a different brand of bulb.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My clever plan to check the socket voltage is to screw in one of those rece ptacle plug things, then put the meter prongs into the slots. I'd probably electrocute myself trying to insert the prongs into a live socket. I will t ry to change brands if any alternatives are available.

Reply to
Pavel314

in one of those receptacle plug things, then put the meter prongs into the slots. I'd probably electrocute myself trying to insert the prongs into a live socket. I will try to change brands if any alternatives are available.

That should work. Ranges are often 240 VAC, and if the neutral is bad, your bulb might be getting too much voltage.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

ms; I can't remember the last time I changed it until recently. When it bur ned out a few weeks ago, I tried to unscrew it but the glass bulb came off of the metal base. I had to use a piece of wood to jam into the base and tu rn it for removal.

iece and replaced it and now, after a couple weeks, it's burned out again.

the quick burn outs? We're not doing any unusual cooking, same frequency, duration, and temperatures as before.

Use a bright flashlight and take a look inside of the socket for the oven l ight. If it is corroded or burnt looking, it should be replaced. The heat from arcing inside of the socket can kill a light bulb prematurely.

John Grabowski

John G

I thought appliance bulbs were different ony in that they were covered in plastic, so when they broke, you didn't get glass all over the inside of the oven or the fridge or the dishwaher or clothes washing machine.

And maybe they are a little smaller too.

Reply to
micky