Oven igniter replaced - glows all the time

Hi,
After some help here, I replace an igniter. Was $47 all told and it came with pigtails and molex connector.
Had to get at the connector from the bottom, after removing a couple of sheet metal panels.
Now the question: should the igniter stay ON, as long as the oven is set to some temp? The igniter for the broiler does.
Never paid any attention to it, until now.
I ask, because the heating furnace igniter goes off, as soon as the gas is ignited. Could last longer that way.
Rich
Hi,
The ignitor stays on when the oven is heating yes. Once the desired temp is reached the ignitor will go off and cool down and close the gas valve, when the heat is called for again the ignitor will come back on and stay on when the flame is on.
Interesting, now can you go up to the post entitled "Can I move the igniter closer", and advise mm before he kills his friend.

Thanks much for the clarification.
The only reason I questioned it that in a furnace it went off, as soon as the flames started.
Rich

Hi,
The amerage the ignitor draws holds or keeps the gas safety valve open when the oven is on. Once the ignitor is no longer powered it cools and draws less and less amerage and evenually draws no amerage and the gas safety valve closes and shuts off the gas flow.
http://appliancehelp.hypermart.net/how-bake-valve-works-C21.pdf
Interesting. So that sort of oven turns the gas completely on and off as opposed to modulating the flow?