Oven Igniter (glow bar) Replacement

Hi All,
It appears I'll have to replace the oven igniter. Will test continuity first. Anyone do one lately - have not replaced one before.
What's the best way to get at it? Can it be done without pulling the whole oven out and tipping it on the side?
Thanks - Rich

Depends on the model. I was able to take the bottom of the oven out and get to it that way. No need to pull it away from the wall. To make life easier, some oven doors can be lifted right off the hinges so you are not leaning over it for access.
RichK wrote:

I would guess you will find it by taking the bottom of the oven out.
Remember. Do not under any circumstances touch it when installing it. Leave it in the plastic until it is in and then remove the plastic. Touching it is a sure way of ending its life quick. You may be able to see a crack in the old one avoiding the need for any test.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Thanks Ed and Joe,
The bottom of the oven seems to be held by 2 screws, so it should be easy - assuming they do not break :-)
The door may come out. May sound silly, but when you say that the door may be lifted out, I assume it's after you remove the screws near the hinges. Trying not to get into trouble :-)
Rich

see

No, it just pull off the hinge in my case. No tools required. Open it out a few degrees, pull straight up.
RichK wrote:

Try opening the door to the first stop; then lift. It will likely just lift off the brackets.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
RichK wrote:

And watch those brackets. Without the door attached the springs can move them really fast and they can bite.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 16:33:17 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

On the oven I worked on, taking the oven out would not help replace the ignitor.

Don't some of them have a metal screen around them? And you can touch the metal screen, right?
I got one in the mail today, but I haven't opened it, and I only saw the original from a distance.
So if there is a metal cage around the thing, I can touch it?
A bad ignitor may have continuity. More often than not the ignitor will glow and not light the oven. An open ignitor wouldn't have no continuity.
Most ignitors are easy to replace, there are some GE models that are a little more difficult, the screws are under the burner.

glow
Got to it easily. The door did not slide out, left it in place. Only one screw in a cover. Igniter held by 3 screws. The broken part appears to be the spring loaded connector in the igniter itself. Wire just fell out. Had to order a replacement - $42+shipping.
Suspect will have to connect the new one with crimp connectors, as the plug (if there's one) is very deep inside the oven.

This one was easy enough to get out.
Thanks All,
Rich