Oven alarm: Clock on the fritz?

This morning, as I headed toward the kitchen to have breakfast, I noted that my 10-year-old infrequently-used General Electric "XL44" gas range was making an "alarm" sound near the clock area that was NOT the distinct alarm of the Minute Timer, which I can turn on and off at will (and which I believe is the only alarm the range has). This alarm sound would go from barely audible for a few moments to a true "alarm" that could be heard from the basement and then back to a dull roar. As I pressed the two other "timer" knobs next to the clock (the Minute Timer is set in the oven clock), the noise slightly changed in tone but did not stop.

The only way I've been able to stop the noise is to turn off the "appliances" switch in the circuit box out in my garage. However, that switch also controls the power to my refrigerator, and the electrical outlets of both the frig and the range are not the easiest to reach.

As I let the noise run for a while, I noticed that the clock was not keeping the correct time. Do oven clocks act like this when their "time" is up? Any suggestions?

-- bobc

Reply to
bobc

------------- Is this an analog clock? If it is, it sure sounds like it's time to replace the clock unit.

BTW, the model # you provided doesn't match anything in the parts databases I looked at. What's the full model # from the tag?

Reply to
Abe

Chances are the noise you hear is coming from the transformer that supplies the burner ignitors. Try reaching into the oven vents at the bottom of the backsplash to see if you can silence it.

Reply to
Bob

Abe: The model number is JGBP24GEN6WH. The range came with my new home in

1994.

Bob: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it when I get home.

-- bobc

Reply to
bobc

How about a clock for different stove, different person? I have an electric stove ,, all works fine but the clock. Haven't pulled it apart yet to see that it's getting power. What's the ballpark price for a replacement clock? White westinghouse KD532ADD3 Hard to find? New glass over clock face would be nice as well.. Thanks Chuck

Reply to
Chuck