Outting 220 on 110 outlet

I need 220 at a 110 outlet. I found that 220 needs 3 wires, black red and white. The white always goes to the silver screws and the black and red are hot. The problem it says in my book that the green screw is the ground. But I dont need a ground, so I just hooked the red wire to the green screw. The outlet worked fine when I tested it, but when I shoved it in the wallbox, it sparked and blew the breaker. That wasn't supposed to happen and the wires are tight. Here is how I wired it (below).

At first I thought I had a bad breaker so I held the breaker tight so it would not blow. I figured if there was a crossed wire it would just burn the bad part of the wire off. But it still blew. This is making me angry. I pulled the outlet back out of the wallbox and now it works again. Maybe I will just let it hang out of the wall since it works that way but want to find out why.

BLACK [] [] WHITE (to silver screws)

O RED

Dick

Reply to
dickforeman

Brilliant !

Reply to
roger61611

First of all circuit breakers trip internally, you can't hold them back. Second, You are connecting a hot wire to the ground screw on your outlet, which incidentally appears by your description to be a 120 volt outlet. The box in the wall is clearly grounded so when you try to install your completely incorrectly wired outlet into it you cause a short circuit

Reply to
RBM

Why would you ASSUME you do not need a ground? Do you have a death wish? If it is grounded there is a better chance no one will die. Using a 120v outlet for a 240v application is marginal. They make 240v volt recpts and cords for this application. The blades would be horizontal instead of the way you show them.

Your incorrect on the colors, white is always ALWAYS a neutral, the grounded conductor. Colors are usually hots. Green or bare is a ground. Every outlet need a ground, might not need a neutral. I suggest you get some help soon

Reply to
SQLit

troll.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

You got some mighty long arms if you held the breaker while you shoved the outlet into the wallbox.

This should work nicely. After you install it you should do the lick test to see if it has power. Let me know how that goes. If I don't hear from you I will assume everything went as planned.

Reply to
dnoyeB

dont laugh a buddy of mine did something like this:( the next owner of his house will have to do a complete rewire.

he is a electrical engineer, retired, but plays fast and loose using

110 outlets for 220, and other nasties, like knob and tube, and 14 gauge wiring on 30 amp fuses.

he has a quaint idea, each floor should be on one fuse, so 220 doesnt appear anywhere upstairs. he fails to realize 2 seperate failures would have to occur at the same time, to generate 220 across 2 legs and expose a person.

Reply to
hallerb

Will he still be a troll when he is dead?

Reply to
kevin

And if you could, the OP would have burned out the circuit breaker.

And maybe burned his hand, too.

Be careful OP. Don't anger Mother Nature.

mm

Hi, I hope you are trolling. Otherwise check your home insurance before you fool around with this.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

This is not correct. 220 needs 3 wires: black, red, and *bare*. White is for neutral; there is no neutral in a pure 220 circuit. The *bare* wire goes to the green screw.

Right.

Wrong.

Oops.

Well, no kidding. You connected a hot lead (red) to the ground terminal on the outlet. Then when you put it into the metal box, you grounded that hot lead.

On the off chance that you're really serious, and not just a troll... please get a good book on electrical wiring, or hire an electrician. You don't know nearly enough about this to do it safely. Please stop before you burn your house down.

Reply to
Doug Miller

He's probably about twelve. Do you think daddy lets him do the house wiring?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Probably a troll. Dick Foreman at Cocks Net? LOL

Why?

Connecting a hot wire to a ground screw. What did you expect would happen?

If by some small chance it it's not a troll I'd say it's solid proof how you got your job as Foreman of Dicks.

Reply to
Big Giant Head

How did you connect the 110V plug to that 220V appliance?

As a 110V outlet, and you didn't check the "ground".

You didn't know that's what short circuits do?

Hoping for a "Darwin Award"? :-)

Would the purpose of this be electrocuting unsuspecting satellite-TV installers? :-)

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

There was a "Home Improvement" where that happened. Of course it was Tim that got the sparks.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

This must be a joke. You almost had me thinking this was real but I wised up. Nice try.

Reply to
jerryrigged

Blah, blah, blah....

.:\\:/:. +-------------------+ .:\\:\\:/:/:. | PLEASE DO NOT | :.:\\:\\:/:/:.: | FEED THE TROLLS | :=.' - - '.=: | | '=(\\ 9 9 /)=' | Thank you, | ( (_) ) | Jeff | /`-vvv-'\\ +-------------------+ / \\ | | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\\ \\ | | @@@ /_// /^\\ \\\\_\\ @x@@x@ | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW \\||||/ | | \\| __\\,,\\ /,,/__ \\||/ | | | jgs (______Y______) /\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\//\\/\\\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I think it would be wiser to check his life insurance.

Reply to
Owlyn

If you are in Canada and have kitchen outlets that are wired to a dual breaker you can get 220V out of a regular duplex outlet.* First use a multimeter to check the AC voltage across the Right Hand Slots of the top and the bottom outlets. It should read 240 Vac (no load). Measure the same across the Left Hand Slots, across the top and bottom slots. It should read under 1Vac. Ground is ground.

My method replace the standard dual receptacle with one of those twist lock ones

that there is no mistaking anyone plugging a regular 110V device into it.

First switch off the power at the breaker to this outlet. Remove the old outlet. Use a twist connector to isolate the (white) left hand wires. Connect each (black) right hand wire , the pair that reads

240Vac across, to the each of the twist lock receptacle poles. Ground is ground. There you are a 220Vac outlet. *The reason for having separate breakers for the top and bottom kitchen receptacles is, I was told, oftentimes they are overloaded with too many appliances drawing power at the same time. If one breaker pops from overload there is at least one remaining that works. Quite a few people do not know where or how to reset the breaker.
Reply to
PaPaPeng