Outside Wiring With PVC Pipe ?

Hello:

This relates to a question I posted a little while ago. Answers got me thinking a bit more on this, which i guess I should have beforehand. I'll copy my original question below, for reference.

I was thinking of putting up an outside house flood light I mentioned by using the standard 1/2 PVC pipe to run the wires inside from where they come thru the house siding to a few feet above, where I want to put the flood light. Turns, etc. would be by using the Bell junction type plastic outside boxes.

Bought a bunch of those fitting you use with PVC, and are attached "by welding" together with a solvent.

Now I'm wondering if I bought the right things:

Are these solvent fastened fittings Code compliant for outside wiring where the PVC tubing and fittings would be hugging the outside house wall ?

Or, must I use these liquid tight metal connectors ?

**(I don't know if they come in plastic also; do they ?)

Is the Code specific on this ?

Thanks, B.

----------- Hello:

Regarding those Bell electrical outdoor junction boxes:

Want to put up an outdoor light on the outside of the house.

NM wire would be coming thru house siding into one of these junction boxes.

The part of the box that will be laying against the siding has a threaded hole for the wire (or some other fitting) to go thru.

It's a pretty rough thread.

Questions:

a. Is it Code required that the NM wire from the house side be clamped where it enters this type of box ?

b. If so, should I use one of those NM wire fittings that one uses with the regular indoor metal junction boxes that clamps the wire, as well as providing a threaded section on the other end ?

c. Or, just lead the NM into the box and live with it brushing against the internal threaded hole of the box ? (do they make a bushing for this purpose; couldn't find anything appropriate at HD ?)

d. Or,... ?

Reply to
Robert11

On 9/9/2005 1:01 PM US(ET), Robert11 took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

In most jurisdictions, you will have to get a permit to install electric service and that installation has to be approved and signed off by an electrical inspector. I am not an electrician, but I will assume that there is a specific code for plastic pipe used for electrical conduit for the following reasons.

  1. My pool electric is supplied by plastic pipe running from my main breaker box to a sub panel by the pool. The pipe is grey, not white, black, or any other color.
  2. I had electric service run to a new sunroom installed on the back of my house. Due to a slab foundation by the sunroom, the electric had to be conduited through the wall of the basement and then underground to the sunroom. Grey plastic pipe again. (Both of these installations have a molded 90º elbow with a screwed on door for access into the elbow outside of the foundation wall).
  3. I watched a union electrician install a new 200 amp breaker box in a home that only had 100 amp. He said he had to put the main ground wire into plastic pipe running to the rod stuck in the ground outside the foundation. He did not have any pipe with him and was going to run to HD to get some when I offered to get some pipe from my garage. He said it had to be grey pipe to meet code. I only had white pipe, so he made the HD run. All of these incidents happened in NY. Your results may vary. Check with your local building department or electrical inspector for confirmation.
Reply to
willshak

The solvent welded fittings are approved for outside installation. Virtyually all of the grey conduit is too. It will say "U/V resistant" on it. (or words to that effect)

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes.

I worry when I hear "pipe" and "electrical" in the same sentence.

You should be talking about non-metallic conduit.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

For openers, I hope you bought UV resistent PVC pipe and fittings designed for outdoor exposure. The white stuff used for plumbing is no good outdoors.

rusty redcloud

Reply to
Red Cloud©

NM (non metallic) conduit is allowed by code and as long as you bought UL rated electrical PVC conduit you are fine (grey pipe in electrical department). Its actually easier to use this because you have less requirements for bonding and grounding the condiit and J boxes. I assume you used compatible NM gray PVC boxes and not tried to interface to a metal one.

Reply to
PipeDown

You do mean grey PVC "Conduit" and weatherproof outdoor boxes, right ?

Reply to
Rudy

Hi,

Absolutely.