outside wall socket off of flood light

hi, my location is nc, I want to replace the outside frontdoor light with a extender box and a motion spotlight on top of it.I would like to also wantto put a outside wall socket box down a few feet.the house is from 1980 and has modern wiring but had the old small gang box(hence the updated extender box) for the the outside fixture.

whats the minumim height the pvc watertight socket box has to be off the ground if it outside? any clue

I have already picked out the box and the pvc electrical conduit. the reason for the outlet is for a electrical leaf blower,etc.. during the summer months.

this would be tied into the inside electrical wall switch.

thanks in advance. flir67-----

Reply to
flir67

You should be able to get a motion detector floodlight kit that will directly replace whatever fixture you have there now. No extender should be necessary. It would make more sense to install your receptacle outlet back to back with an inside wall outlet, this way you won't have to turn on a switch to energize it, and you won't need exposed conduit running down the wall. There is no specified minimum height for an outlet, but I would install it at a comfortable level

Reply to
RBM

thanks for the reply!

Reply to
flir67

Keep in mind that lighting circuits in modern housing are typically 15A. Putting a plug on a loaded lighting circuit is likely to create an overload if you plug anything substantial in. It probably won't pass any future inspection.

Reply to
Robert Neville

I'm not exactly sure what you have in mind, but my next door neighbors removed their rear deck light and ran some outside cable up the back of their house a little and put in a flood light, using the switch for the earlier light. There's some strange cover where the first light used to be. I think it looks terrible.

When I wanted a floodlight for my backyard, I found a receptacle next to the window in my 2nd floor bedroom, put a hole in a foot above it for a switch, and mounted the light just opposite the new switch. No wires are showing, inside or out, and to change the bulb, I lean out the window a little bit.

I also replaced my front door light with a motion activated one. To mount an outlet outdoors** I'd go through the wall from another outlet, or go up from the basement, maybe 4 to 6 inches over ground level, so that's the most cable one woudl see, even less when standing nearby. I might even plant something in front of it.

**I have one in the front which I use, and in the back, there's an indoor outlet 8 inches from the door, so I use that.
Reply to
mm