Outside Roll-Up Garden Hoses ?

Hi,

Was thinking of one of those roll-up outdoor hoses for a gift.

There seem to be a multitude op brands available.

Several at HD, different ones pedaled on TV, etc. etc. Wouldn't surprise me if they all come out of the same factory in China.

Anyway, I guess the first question should be: are these a worthwhile and "good" product ? Do they work ? Last ?

Limitations, caveats, etc. ? What to look for ?

Any have a reputation as being the "best" ? Which ?

Any to stay away from ?

Which one, if any, should I purchase ? Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Once in a while, I get on a job site where I need a garden hose, to rinse dust out of a HVAC unit. Ideally, a flat hose to take up less space. Ace Hardware had a crank reel and 50 foot hose for about $35. I was a bit out of my mind, I could have gotten a Walmart hose for under ten bucks. I did buy the hose. It does store compactly. The hose sat in my van about two years before its first use. See? I was out of my mind. However, it worked well (aside from kinking shut and had to go smooth out the hose before I got much water flow).

If you get the stretchy expanding hose, please be sure to get a pressure regulator from the RV section at Walmart (or other store). The expanding hoses tend to rupture.

Stormin Mormon

What do you mean roll-up? They all roll up.

Reply to
Micky

They don't all roll up by themselves like these, although technically these don't "roll up". They coil up or shrink up.

Yes, it would be good to know exactly what the OP is asking about. Maybe these images will prompt an explanation.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The Wal one looks a lot like an air hose that HF sells. Looks like small diameter hose, might not be much water flow.

The pipes one is similar to the ones that tends to rupture. Benefits from a pressure reducer before the hose.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon
[snip]

I find the expanding hose useful in the late summer when I have a fungus problem in the yard (to spray fungicide), and need a lightweight hose (the best hose I have is a rubber one from Sears, but its very heavy).

As to a pressure regulator, I use one I got with a drip-watering kit (tiny sprinklers, and low flow rate).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

My first expanding hose started leaking after just 3-4 uses. The second one lasted several years (the pressure reducer does help a lot).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Thanks for the field report. I bought one expanding hose. Same thing, ruptured after a couple uses. I've not tried one on a regulated low pressure line. Might do better than full flow. Thank you.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi,

Sorry I wasn't too clear.

I was referring to those "self coiling" hoses. They are always advertising them on TV.

Bob

----------------------------------------------- > Hi,

Reply to
Bob

I have one that someone gave me. It's the first one that was advertised on TV. I think it's called the Pocket Hose.

I wont use it for farm use. Having large animals stepping on them, mud, manure, and that sort of thing requires a heavy duty rubber hose.

I have not yet used it for general yard work, but I did try it and I thought it was handy, and it did expand like it said. It was easy to drain the water afterwards. But thats about all I can tell you. I dont know how well it holds up. I have a well, so my water pressure is not nearly as high as in the cities. I hope it lasts awhile.

Reply to
Paintedcow

No such thing came with my hose, but my well pressure is max 50lbs. If the hose cant handle that, it's worthless.

Reply to
Paintedcow

My house has a pressure regulator, installed when the house was built, but am I to understand that there are additional ones that, what, screw on to the garden faucet? Are they expensive?

-
Reply to
Micky

If he'd said shrink I would have known what he is talking about.

That one is coiled all the time. It doesn't coil more, it just pulls back.

Yeah that's a shrinker. If he'd said that, I'd have told him that in a previous thread someone said they started to leak moderately soon. I have non-shrinking hoses that are in good condition after 20 years. Even leaving them in the sun for weeks at a time (moving them every few days to they don't leave a line in the grass). So someone might think that a hose that doesn't leak for 2 or 3 years (if that's what the prior person said about it) is enough. But I view hoses as a long-term expense, with a life of at least 15 years, not as a disposeable commodity.

(I got two or three hoses included with the house when I bought it 33 years ago, and I've found 2 or 3 in the trash since then. The ones in the trash, along the curb with the trash, were perfectly good. One of the total of 4 to 6 hoses sprang several leaks after many years, and one had the outer covering split in several places but I don't think that caused leaks. It's hard to remember. I roll the wheel around about 50 times just before every winter until water stops coming out, and I have two hoses installed all year, plus another one or two in the basement for when one of these fail. )

Still, a shinking hose miight be worthwhile if one uses the hose often, once or twice a day, every 2 or 3 days, and has gotten tired of rolling up a regular hose. Just don't complain that your standard of living is not increasing.

Maybe. They certainly prompted a reply from me!!!

Reply to
Micky

Yes. About ten bucks at Walmart, in the camping / RV section.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My pressure reducer said it produces 40-50 PSI, so maybe you don't need one.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Municipal water sources target < 80 psi for delivery.

Unfortunately, most munis forget that, over time (appliances tend to be rated for 80 psi). E.g., our water supply is above 110psi so we have a PRV on the domestic water (as well as the irrigation water).

[And an expansion tank colocated with the water heater -- something that seems to be missing in many homes!]
Reply to
Don Y