Outside Christmas LED Lights -- dull and weak....

Page 3 of 3

You aren't looking very hard. There are plenty of the "old fashion" lights out there. Wally World has most display space for conventional light sets than the LED sets.
I agree they lack the brightness of the incadencent although I have some white led strings which come quite close. (The most "normal" looking ones have bulbs that look like the mini incadescent strings. The LED is a "hot spot" that looks a lot like the filament of an old style bulb. The more diffusion around the LED the less "conventional" it looks.)
But, hey, just use twice as many strings. In the medium run you save two ways: 1) you still save a LOT of power; and 2) the individual bulbs almost NEVER burn out. To me, the long life is the "tipping point."
One thing I don't like about the LEDs is that they are only "on" for about 30% of the power cycle.
Basically, they "flash" 60 times each second.
That's way too fast you notice unless your eyes are "scanning" the lights. Then it's quite easy to see that would be a "light streak" with the old style lamps become a light of "light dots."

I just saw this post. Where are you located? I have seen them at stores around here. I'm pretty sure I saw them at Lowes. I know I saw them at Target.
I have a bunch of incandescent sets that I never used (C7 and C9). I
On 12/11/2010 10:37 AM, James wrote:

We have a number of really tasteful Christmas light displays, in the neighborhood and in the little town across the river. There are not too many of the tradtional lights around but they manged to find some. health and energy kept ours to just lights in the windows this year. Hope you found what you were looking for. Merry Christmas. how do you get those stubborn reindeer hoof divots out of the lawn?
Lil Abner wrote:

---> http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/lat-cariboumo_k6fqg3nc20080831045251,0,3651452.photo