Outside Carpenter Ant Problem

I have a huge colony of Carpenter Ants that reside in a tree on my propery. I've tried so many chemicals over the years and nothing works. They continue to hollow out my tree because I see huge piles of saw dust every week in the summer at the base of my tree. I can see where they go into the tree about 5 feet off the ground. I've sprinked Diazonon everywhere and it doesn't help. How can I kill this colony of Ants?

Thanks

Reply to
zano

The Ant Block product for protein- and sweet-eating ants is what you want, not the Fire Ant bait. You may know this, but I'll add it anyway... :) Carpenter ants don't feed on wood, they simply bore tunnels/cavities to use as nesting sites. They feed on dead and living insects, aphid nectar, etc., ...

I suspect you've been using baits that aren't particularly attractive to them. Diazanon has been removed from the market for some time now (unless there's a source I'm unaware of which I would like to know about if so) so any you have left may be pretty much ineffectual.

Reply to
dpb

I picked up a hand pump spray type bottle of something labeled Enforcer brand that I sprayed around the bottom of our utility shed that was once crawling with carpenter ants. Never saw another on the shed for the rest of the season. When I saw how well it worked I went around our firewood racks as well (and I do mean the racks themselves not the actual firewood). I was a skeptic at first because I've tried a lot of stuff in the past, but this one really worked for us, YMMV. I expect we'll need to retreat in the spring though. Best product I've ever seen for this problem, I'll probably do around the house foundation as well this time.

Reply to
Jackson

They are actually a help to the tree rather than a problem. They are cleaning out diseased/rotted wood from the interior of the tree. you can find Advanced carp Ant bait over the web and it will work well if you feel the ants must go.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

The tree had a problem before the ants moved in .. they like damp/rotted wood, so by getting rid of that you will get rid of the ants. Have an arborist look at the tree. And quit dumping Diazinon everywhere..typical lunkhead cure for everything that crawls.

Reply to
Norminn

I found that terro ant killer works for me. But some hands on is required. Just my experience.

tom @

Just Joshin