Outside antenna rotator question...

Page 2 of 3

Red wrote:

Oooh, that's twice our three! :) (Well, there's really four on the rare nights PBS has enough power to have a watchable signal, but that's still three on most nights!)
The thing I was thinking about re: the rotor is that there is a newer repeater almost 180-degrees from the other three that we have had "since forever". It is coming up out of the TX panhandle from Amarillo and often, particularly in warm weather, the weather approaches from that direction rather than the NW. W/ the antenna pointing to the NE, we have no sign of any signal. Whether I can pick it up if get the new antenna and point it the right direction I don't yet know so suppose ought to do that experiment first before even worrying about it at all further...
Anyway, I was figuring if that were the case of getting it, I'd have to essentially rotate a half-turn pretty regularly as it's not going to get both simultaneously, they're all in deep fringe range so need highly directional antenna. The only saving grace is the three at present are all roughly in the same direction so one can aim mostly towards the weakest/farthest away one and still get passable reception for the most part on the other two.

The voltage is 24 volts AC. I made my own crude control some years ago. It was just a 24V transformer and some switches. It's not rocket science, just apply voltage to one wire and it turns the motor CCW and to the other wire and it turns CW. Of course I did not have the indicator inside, which is most of the circuitry in the factory made controls. I used to have to look out the window to see where it was pointed, or just turn till the best tv signal came in. Anyhow, the voltage is 24 at least on the old Alliance rotors which was probably a unit from the 1960's back then. For wire to the motor, I have used plain thermostat cable, although the insulation dont last long on that stuff in sunlight, so the flat 4 conductor stuff made for rotors is probably better.
I dont blame the OP for his refusal to sign the contracts for satellite service. I simply called a company to get a price. It was way more than I was willing to pay for tv service. They were like vultures, refused to listen when I said "Not Interested". They began calling me contantly (I am on the DNC list). The filled my mailbox with weekly junk, and harassed me to no end. I finally filed a complaint with the FTC and my phone company. The calls stopped, but 4 or 5 years later I still keep getting mail from them. I often take their mail and write "return to sender". Let them pay twice for their junk mail.
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Yes, it wouldn't be hard to make a controller that I could use from the entrance point in the attic; the problem is the local interface in a convenient place w/o having to pull new cable through the two story exterior wall or w/o having to run a new cable into the basement to come out through the foundation wall (poured concrete). But, is a good thought...
On the harrassing/annoying solicitations, I'm still getting about 2 or 3 phone solicitors (all on the auto-dial robots) a day from Dish and whoever else, too. It seems their "out" on this is that if you call them once, that counts as the "business relationship" to let them off the hook on the DNC list for actual prosecution for a couple years or more... :(
dpb wrote:

You can specifically request that the calls be limited to actual need such as billing and not sales solicitations.

Which is why you call them from a payphone if you want information. Better yet, dont call them. I have yet to meet any of them who are honest or reasonably priced. The dish network is one of the worst.

dish has between 12 to 14 million subscribers, apparently you are in a minority
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I think that response similar to the one I got at W-M last summer -- was in need of a gallon of paint to finish up and didn't want to wait for the Sherwin-Williams store Monday and was using a straight white and in a location that a very slight difference wouldn't be noticeable so held my nose and went there---anyway, asked the guy the "This any good?" question and the answer was "They sell a whole lot of it." Told him that was the answer to a completely different question.
snipped-for-privacy@swko.net (dpb) writes:
| Thanks, Todd. Actually, there is power in the attic and a 110V outlet | right at the location where the antenna lead comes in. Dad had planned | on and tried one of the amplifiers at one time and had run the power | for it when doing the remodel. Too bad he didn't think about | additional updates like coax for network access and/or running an extra | conduit between floors to allow something else to be pulled easily. :) | It's not being used now, but is live as I used it for a drop cord when | doing some work up there a while back. | | I suppose I could do the outside, up the house thingy, but I have a | pretty strong aversion to hanging stuff on the house if it's at all | avoidable, and TV isn't enough of a priority to likely cause a | retraction on that score. | | If you were to have an idea given that there is power up there, I'd | certainly be interested in it. As you say, certainly a quick search | didn't find anything. The other respondent suggesting the ham folks | ain't a bad idea, either. Haven't done so yet, but will try it.
At one time you could buy a rotor control with an IR remote. You could place this control in the attic and then use a wireless IR extender between the TV location and the attic. Better would be a hard-wired IR extender, but I don't think you can get one that rides on twinlead.
Dan Lanciani wrote:

There ya' go! Thanks, Dan. I did find a couple at least of the IR rotor controls. Hadn't thought of the right buzz words for the IR extender. I'll see what I can find. It would be nice if I could use the twin-lead to pull a coax but am almost positive Dad, like his usual self, will have fastened it firmly at both box ends and the only thing I'd do would be tear it up and have nothing. At least he did use the heavy insulated exterior stuff for it all. Wasn't home during this part of the house remodel so didn't get a chance to suggest some alternatives/additional niceties to be included...
Dan Lanciani wrote:

OK, that works, thanks!! -- Your catch phrase word of "extender" led to at least two or three wireless IR extenders that claim 120-ft range. Since it's frame house and far less distance than that, _should_ work. (How reliable they'll be is to be determined, of course, but it's a solution at least in theory and not terribly expensive if turns out not so good.).
I'll get the antenna first and when the weather clears up (we're waiting for the third snow/ice in three weeks today altho this one is a puppy compared to the last two, it's just not what we need just now :( ) and the ground dries out enough I can get the lift to the tower w/o making ruts 2-ft deep and see if there's any signal in the other direction to make the rotor look like it's worth doing.
Thanks to all (even Haller :) ) for the input...

run new coax and power wire for the rotator on the outside of the house, maybe behind a downspout. may be able to get white wire if house is white. make sure you ground both to your unified power, phone, etc ground. you'll be glad you did.

Where are you located?
Being a farmer myself, could you explain in more detail what happened to these livestock. I can understand freezing, but why did they suffocate? I find this very disturbing, since I absolutely love my horses like family. If we ever got a bad storm like that, I sure would like to know what to or not to do. Normally when we have severe weather coming, I bring all of them into the barn. I dont have enough stalls for all of them, but they just stay in the center of the barn and irritate each other, but their little irritations, and a few chunks of fur bit off, are far better than being out in bad weather. Hopefully by the end of this year I will finally have a stall for each one of them.
If there are web links from the news, about these animals and the weather, please post the URLs.
Mark
For the same channels satellite TV is cheaper than cable.
TODAY no long term commitments are necessary, lease model cancel and just return the receivers. no buyouts or penalties
obviously no one here has a DVR or TIVO or you would be going on and on about how nice it is to skip commercials and watch whaat you want on your schedule and not the networks. sooner or later you too will be assimiliated:) my dad refused even after i gave him one for christmas. within a few months he bought one after hearing from so many friends how great it was.
he apologized for being well dad:) hardhead......
a major downside to rotors if you have more than one tv watching shows in different directions your stuck..........
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That certainly has not been an option I've been offered nor heard advertised here, but as I noted, it isn't the programming that I'm interested in. The closest I've heard on the "rental" thing has a hefty up-front payment that isn't refundable and the deferred or included installation fees are then collectible and payable and aren't all the cheap. And, even if they did, it doesn't solve the problem of the "locals" not being the ones I have interest in.
And, yes, no one here has DVR, TIVO. Also, there's only one set and there are not going to be any more. It doesn't help any to kill the commercials during the local news and weather; it isn't going to get it transmitted any earlier, and as soon as it and the sports are over, it usually goes on mute again, anyway; the wife goes to bed and I read a while longer. I may listen to the "Top Ten" list or the Leno "Headlines" on Mondays, but other than that, "off" is the normal position. (Oh, I forgot, Red Green usually gets his shot on Friday night as does the local farm markets weekly review show.)

my best friend from 8th grade has a 2 year old. i traded some old satellite stuff for a slightly used TIVO. friends hubby got nose out of joint we just watch whats on when its on attitude.
I set up tivo with a push button for regular tv expecting the comments.
her 2 year old loves watching his favorite shows, he operates it great. her hubby loves sports, replaying football plays, the family is now firmly a TIVO one:)
she watches our 4 dogs anytime we go away, it was a nice thank you.
she asked me to remove the swich now they always watch TIVO

my best friend from 8th grade has a 2 year old. i traded some old satellite stuff for a slightly used TIVO. friends hubby got nose out of joint we just watch whats on when its on attitude.
I set up tivo with a push button for regular tv expecting the comments.
her 2 year old loves watching his favorite shows, he operates it great. her hubby loves sports, replaying football plays, the family is now firmly a TIVO one:)
she watches our 4 dogs anytime we go away, it was a nice thank you.
she asked me to remove the swich now they always watch TIVO
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

OK, how would/could it help with any of the issues _I_ have? None, that I can see.
I've not had a 2-yr old for over 30 years and certainly don't expect any more. But, for the most part, it is about the right intellectual level of most tv content, I'll agree.
While I do enjoy sports to an extent, it's a case of can "take if or leave it" and certainly not of sufficient interest that would play stuff over and over or rewatch old games, etc. The wife's level of interest is even less...
You seem to have a difficult time with the thought that somebody else's interests and activities don't seem to mirror yours... :)
OK, how would/could it help with any of the issues _I_ have? None,

you see untill you or a good friend uses one you cant understand how it really changes your life:(
prime time shows have nearly 20 minutes of commercials that I skip thru, for each hour I get that time back to do other things, and avoid hemmroid and other messages:)
hey that gal looked nice, run it back:) what did they say? run it back:)
Phone rings just pause tv.
2 good similiar shows on at same time? why choose I record them both.
Now before you say VCRs do stuff like this NO VCR will allow you to start waching a show thats already recording skip thru commercials and catch up by the end
It REALLY changes how you look at tv forever!
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Only can change your life it you let it. That, to me, is the fundamental difference -- I have no intention or desire to change my life to conform to something else -- I'm perfectly content as I am.

There are no prime time shows worth wasting 20 minutes on, anyway, so what difference does it make?

If it wasn't worth watching the first time, why would I want to see it again?

Or let the answering machine pick it up, or ... No TV is worth enough to make it of any real significance if it goes by unseen.

Hard to find even one good show on ever, what more two. Again, tastes vary, and I have no idea what you watch or think "good", but as noted previously, with something approaching 100 channels at Mom's apartment, the likelihood of anything other than sports being anything I would watch at any point in time during an evening visiting was almost vanishingly small... :( If it hadn't been part of the basic rent at the assissted living complex, I'm sure Mom would have been just as happy without it as she was never a TV-watcher, either.

Again, only if you let it. OK, I could record the 15 minutes of local interest on the evening news and weather and cut out the 2-minute segment between the two where Bucklin Tractor plays their commercial and another one and then play it back in 13 minutes instead of 15. Or start watching (really, only listening) five or ten minutes later in the broadcast. Whoopee! :) If I'm watching the Friday "Farm and Market", it's on local PBS and is straight-through.
I read a lot; this winter has been Churchill's four-volume history of WWII. That got me into some other contemporary and posthumous biographies of Churchill and others. Other than that, have been working on a syllabus for a series of Adult CE courses on modern physics and similar topics, hopefully to start teaching next fall at the local Community College if I can find enough time to get it completed by then. That's been a major brushup on events since I finished grad school nearly 30 year ago, now. Then, there's the routine farm recordkeeping and bookwork. And, just to round out the schedule, there's a board or committee meeting on average of two or three nights a week plus the associated effort required to prepare and fulfill obligations of/to those organizations of which I'm an active member. Overall, there simply isn't much time to devote to TV or need to use TV for entertainment or a distraction. The wife has her own agenda -- different, but not much (if any) less full...
dpb wrote:

gee for my family tv is entertainment and informational. while doing other stuff, i watched a documentary on the start of the spanish american war over sinking of the battleship maine in cuba. it wasnt torpeoded, war as mistake coal bunker blew up. also watched seconds from disaster about the final columbia flight and some general enterainment. while out for dinner and new printer recorded CBS national news, watched it when we got home, following war and democrat take over of congress carefully
all whiole working on networking computers and printers, lots of dead ime on this project, waiting for reboot etc.
you know if you had a TIVO or satellite tv you might find some shows worth watching.......
some day when your around it, you too will see the value. the device is a tool for watching tv, just like a shovel is for digging a ditch