outside AC unit Screeching

My 20 year old outside unit was screeching this evening. This happened once before a few weeks back. At that time it stopped on its own. Tonight I eventually turned off the AC after a minute or so of the noise. There is a slight mechanical burning smell at the unit itself.
There is nothing inside blocking and it is turning but entirely too painful sounding to leave on.
Are there things to try before calling someone out?
Any help with be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Jennifer
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hi, If there is belt, it's loose.

Can only hazard a guess from here. I'd say the fan motor bearings are toast. John

Condenser fan motor bearings are bad. About a $100 part. The smell is from the motor overheating because the fan blade is slowed down.
Dissemble unit, oil berrings.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-&spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Thanks for the catch. Bearings, it is. Mithpellers of the world, untie!
I've oiled some motors that weren't really designed to be oiled. But, however, some worked and some didn't. I've also had to hand fashion a fan for a piece of equipment when needed.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.