outside AC unit Screeching

My 20 year old outside unit was screeching this evening. This happened once before a few weeks back. At that time it stopped on its own. Tonight I eventually turned off the AC after a minute or so of the noise. There is a slight mechanical burning smell at the unit itself.

There is nothing inside blocking and it is turning but entirely too painful sounding to leave on.

Are there things to try before calling someone out?

Any help with be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jennifer

Reply to
caldwellpatrick

Hi, If there is belt, it's loose.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Can only hazard a guess from here. I'd say the fan motor bearings are toast. John

Reply to
JohnR66

Condenser fan motor bearings are bad. About a $100 part. The smell is from the motor overheating because the fan blade is slowed down.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Dissemble unit, oil berrings.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Berrings?

Maybe you mean bearings? Which, most modern outdoor condenser motors are sealed and may not provide oil passage's for oiling.

If your condenser is over 10 years old, it is likely time for a new motor. Call your friendly neighborhood air conditioning repair guy...

Reply to
Zephyr

Thanks for the catch. Bearings, it is. Mithpellers of the world, untie!

I've oiled some motors that weren't really designed to be oiled. But, however, some worked and some didn't. I've also had to hand fashion a fan for a piece of equipment when needed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon