outside ac unit is very very hot

insurance sent ac tech for 2nd opinion he said the compressor was going bad because the fins were deteriorated over 30% of the area. he blames this on animal urine.
is this possible? what else could be the cause of the unit going bad>
Am I being scammed by the insurance a/c tech
-------------------------------------
--
+-----------[ SERVER SIGNATURE ]-------------+
| Delivered via http://www.homeownershub.com |
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 23:06:28 +0000, wjandld_at_att_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (wayne46) wrote:

Are they going to pay you any less than if there were some other reason?

wjandld_at_att_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (wayne46) wrote:

What was the 1st opinion?

I guess. Do you have a dog or similar animal that likes to piss on the a/c?

Most common causes of issues with the fins would be:
1. Fins clogged by dirt and debris
2. Fins corroded by rain water and the weather.
Urine would be acidic (uric acid) and likely accelerate normal corrosion.
Compressors can and do fail. Lubricants break down, bearings seize, motors burn out etc. The life can be shortened if the unit is run with too much or too little refridgerant. Also if the gas is of the wrong type or contaminated.
How old is the compressor unit?

Are the insurance co. claiming that such (urine) damage would not be covered?
On 7/24/2010 6:06 PM, wayne46 wrote:

Dog pee will destroy the condenser fins quite efficiently. I see it all the time. If you get a replacement, you may have to put some sort of cage around it to prevent the pooches from marking it as their territory.
TDD
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 23:06:28 +0000, wjandld_at_att_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (wayne46) wrote:

Why do you ask if it's possible, wihtout telling us whether your fins are deteriorated or not?
YOu only say that he says so.
My fins are 31 years old and they're in fine condition. A few are bent, but none are smaller than they were 31 years ago. Are yours smaller than original? If yes, do you have a better reason?

On Jul 24, 7:06pm, wjandld_at_att_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (wayne46) wrote:

He should be able to show you. It would be visible. It is not an uncommon problem if you have a dog or dogs. Or dogs loose in the neighborhood. Not so common for wild animals. The coils can be replaced but it's a fairly expensive repair because it's a lot of labor. If the unit is older it might not be worth it.