Outlets with wall switches

MANY have no NVROM or NVRAM to maintain channel selections when the power is removed. You are still able to direct enter channels, but the "channell up" and "channel down" do not function untill re-programmed

- and some revert to a default of ant of cable when powered off. Fine if you are using the default - but everytnhing above 13 goes away if it defaults to ant and you are using cable.

Reply to
clare

re: "But as usual "Bub" was just yanking our chains."

I understood exactly who was yanking what, but that doesn't change the fact that unplugging both clocks and GDO's will save electricity.

I'm sure Cindy was also well aware of the yanking being done, but her question was still valid - as was my answer.

P.S. All chain yanks aside, the unplugging of clocks is not as far fetched as it seems. Many modern clocks automatically set themselves as soon as they are plugged in. My daughter has a clock radio that does that. No one could argue that it wouldn't save electricity if she unplugged it when leaving her room in the morning and it wouldn't much of an inconvenience since she'd know the correct time within a few seconds of plugging it back in.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'll start with ONE - Computer hard drives. If not subjected to heat cycling, which can cause a hard drive to fail quite quickly. As long as cooling is adequate, it is better to keep them running. Starting and stopping also subjects the motor and arm to startup forces and shut down forces, whichare hardert on the drives rather than running in a constant state. Stiction problems with the spindle motors are never a problem on drives that are not shut down. All electronics are sensitive to power spikes as well - which are virtually eliminated if the drives are kept running. I've got hard drives that are over 10 years old, still running, 24/7.

One is a 13 year old Maxtor 2.5gb - built Dec 24, 1997 in Singapore

Credible references?? Google Hard Drive Thermal cycling, and hard drive stiction and find them yourself - any I provide you guys will argue anyway.

The same principals apply to many other electronic devices - so just google thermal cycling electronic failure and power surge electronic failure and you'll find more than 3.

Reply to
clare