Outlets -- which way?

Page 4 of 4

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 12:04:08 -0600, Mark Lloyd

If the prong holes face the wall, you can't plug anything in at all. On all my receptacles, the ground hole faces the same direction as the power prong holes.

IMHO:
I think it's a personal preference for home's. In commercial places, there is some belief if the screw becomes loose, pops out, and the 'metal' face plate falls, on a partially inserted plug, you can get a spark that causes a fire. This sounds like a lot of "what if's", but you need to do what you are instructed.
Personally I like grounds down, since the index finger has a habit of migrating to one of the prongs, so best if it's the grounding prong.
hth,
tom @ www.mesothelioma-poll.com
Don Fearn wrote:

FWIW: The manufacturer's catalogs, like Pass & Seymour/LeGrand, have illustrations uniformly showing duplex outlets with grounds at the top.
Joe
On 12/05/06 09:46 pm Joe wrote:

And I just noticed that some of the spare outlets I have -- possibly Pass & Seymour/Legrand -- are marked so that the writing is the right way up only when the ground pin is uppermost.
Perce

Yeah, but a lot of things you need to plug in will not work correctly when upside down. Install outlets so they work, not so they satisfy some geek's idea of what's normal.

I wonder if this subject will set a new record for most replies in a thread previously held by this same subject.
Has anyone surveyed the common electrical appliances to see how they feel? Are there certain appliances that prefer doggy style over the missionary position?

I've checked with the toaster, it appears to not care, as long as it gets some.
Not going near the blender, or microwave. :D
later,
tom @ www.ringtone-makers.com