Outlets -- which way?

I've checked with the toaster, it appears to not care, as long as it gets some.

Not going near the blender, or microwave. :D

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

The circuit would turn itself off, after a spark between the metal cover plate and the hot wire caused an explosion.

Maybe it was, but it was the UPS plug that had been knocked partly out of the outlet.

Reply to
Sam E

It's when the wall seems to have a growth on it, because of some oversized thing on a cord instead of a plug. Often a power supply for something.

Reply to
Joel M

Oh pshaw, on Tue 05 Dec 2006 10:07:39a, Steve Barker LT meant to say...

Probably this morning when you weren't looking.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

And I just noticed that some of the spare outlets I have -- possibly Pass & Seymour/Legrand -- are marked so that the writing is the right way up only when the ground pin is uppermost.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Yeah, but a lot of things you need to plug in will not work correctly when upside down. Install outlets so they work, not so they satisfy some geek's idea of what's normal.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

More fuel on the fire! While not confirming the above, Friday I visited a brand new Mazda dealership building about 90% complete, and throughout the entire service, parts and public area were duplex outlets with...are you ready for this?...the grounds at the top. It would appear that in our Central Illinois area at least, our tradesmen are following the grounds-up practice in commercial buildings. I think I'll do a little investigation of our newest McMansions under construction and see what the hoi polloi prefer.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Every building I worked in at my PPoE (dozens over 30+ years) was ground-up. I was told that it was because of the metal studs, covers, and partitions. Any falling object would contact the ground pin first.

I'v never seen it in residential construction, since metal is kinda rare. There may be a lesson here...

-- Keith

Reply to
krw