Outlets -- which way?

Page 3 of 4

On 5 Dec 2006 06:07:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

There is no requirement on which way is right for the home.
In hospitals the ground pin has to be up.
The reason is, when a plug is pulled partially out of an outlet the terminals are exposed. A metal tray sliding down the wall would come in contact with the ground plug and not the hot.
If you will look at the markings on a receptacle, the labeling on the receptacle will give you an indication on how the manufacture recommends the receptacle to be installed. Put the writings facing right side up.
Let's see...... when was the last time a METAL TRAY slid down my wall....
--
Steve Barker

"Terry" < snipped-for-privacy@charter.net> wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:07:39 -0600, "Steve Barker LT"
I understand your comments now. You think this about you.
I am guessing you are not a surgeon. They use metal trays daily.
Terry wrote:

MY surgeon doesn't drop things.
On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:07:39 -0600, "Steve Barker LT"
When was the last time a metal tray slid up your wall....

Mark Lloyd
Oh pshaw, on Tue 05 Dec 2006 10:07:39a, Steve Barker LT meant to say...

Probably this morning when you weren't looking.
--
Wayne Boatwright

Another way to use this trick is in the kitchen. Put them in one direction for one circuit and put them facing the other for the other circuit.
This will tell you which outlets you can use if you are using two high wattage kitchen appliances at the same time.

Never heard of that; clever actually.
Don Fearn wrote:

I have heard people say that the ground pin should be up or to the left. The reasoning behind this is, if a metal cover plate becomes loose and falls off while something is plugged in and manages to get between the recep. and the plug, it will fall on either the ground or neutral terminal. A rare occurrance to be sure, but it makes sense to do it that way.
I don't believe that the NEC addresses this issue at all. nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

All commercial buildings seem to be wired with the ground pin UP. Why is that?
Mark

Because it makes practical sense.
Offices have had problems in the past when a paper clip would fall off of a desk and get behind a plug and short it out. With the pin up, it will generally fall off to the side. This is becoming accepted practice now.
A paper clip... !! NOW it's a paper clip sliding right down the wall and behind a plug. While ago it was a metal tray... Wouldn't be deflected by the edge of the cover plate would it? LMAO!!!
--
Steve Barker

"Edwin Pawlowski" < snipped-for-privacy@snet.net> wrote in message
Mark wrote:

Most workers in building construction come from the southern hemisphere where things are reversed.

Too bad they didnt design the outlet to look like | 0 | instead of | | 0
--
For every complicated, difficult problem, there is a simple, easy
solution that does not work.
On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 22:35:28 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net () wrote:

Goedjn wrote:

Ever looked at a Neutrik PowerCon connector?
Twist and lock, no exposed conductors, ground contacts touch first, rated for 20A. Unfortunately its not rated as an in-wall mains connector.
http://www.neutrik.com/content/products/level03.aspx?id 4_390365502&catIdtMSDE_audio
Chris
There's a reason the NEC doesn't address this. It would be a waste of frikkin paper and ink. Like this thread.
--
Steve Barker

"Nate Nagel" < snipped-for-privacy@flycast.net> wrote in message
snipped-for-privacy@not.hotmail.com says...

You printed this thread?

--
Keith

Definitely. The holes should face inward. *Into* the room.

So you'd put the ground hole right in from of the others, so it becomes impossible to plug anything in without creating a short. Hope your breakers aren't the kind that don't trip.

Mark Lloyd