Outlets went out but no breaker is tripped

Page 2 of 2

If that's true, then NO WONDER mine flipped when I plugged my leaf-blower into it!
But really -- I thought it was a LOT safer to use gfci's.
Like in a basement shop with concrete floor on high-humidity day. Electric drill -- you'd plug that into a gfci, wouldn't you?
Or in a kitchen, where maybe EVERY outlet is either individually gfci'd (I gather from reading this group that that's overkill) or (better) is "downwind" of one.
Then what about, you know, a blender, cuisineart, etc. Or even a shopvac for messy times.
--
Please, just what is it about a motor that\'s bad for a gfci?

(Not that I have any real idea or feeling for how one works.)
On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 05:06:28 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

    That is interesting, but if true, why does my electric power washer come with a built in GFCI?
On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 06:19:53 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Lawyers, not engineers, made that decision.
On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 06:36:31 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

    That reminds me of the plumber and the code people.
    The plumber wrote to the officials and explained how acid was a great tool for clearing a drain.
    They wrote back with a long winded explination why it would not work. The plumber wrote back thanking them for agreeing.
    After a few more letters the authorities were frustrated and worte "It burns the ^$%% out of the pipes." The plumber finally got the idea.
    If you think you know more than the people who write the national codes, maybe you should write them a lettler ...

I had a pool and the outdoor electrical outlet for the pump motor had to be on a GFCI circuit by code. In addition, all of the outdoor outlets on my present house are GFCI protected. What other than a motor driven device am I going to use these outlets for?
David Combs wrote:

Motorize items that should never be plugged into a GFCI: Sump Pump Well/Cistern Pump Refrigerator/Freezer Garage Door Opener
On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 17:44:41 -0400, Congoleum Breckenridge

Most of which are not really because they're more likely to trip a GFCI (either due to a fault in the device or the GFCI), but because the consequence of the power being cut to them is greater than the electrical risk the GFCI is protecting against, which isn't true of other devices, motors or not.
I wouldn't plug my life support equipment into a GFCI either, but I certainly am happy to know my power washer, hair dryer, trouble light, etc are on one.
Josh
I've seen that, with the cheaper bag stab outlets.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Refrigerators on a GFI are not a good idea. Building codes commonly require a dedicated circuit for such. YMMV
Joe
WhiteTea wrote:

GFCI can go bad.