Outlets went out but no breaker is tripped

I have some outlets and a light switch that have stopped working in one room.

None of the breakers are tripped.

All I can think of is to shut off and then back on one breaker at a time to isolate which one controls the non-functioning outlets and switch.

Any feedback appreciated.

Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea

If they're not working and the breaker isn't tripped, how will that isolate anything? There will be no change. You can isolate all other circuits and perhaps guess which one feeds the one from that, but that's all...

The symptom is one of a loose connection from the last feed point that is live on the circuit feeding the faulty boxes. It may be at the first box that is not working or the last one that is.

--

Reply to
dpb

Look behind a dresser for a GFCI outlet with a red light and tripped button, even in another room or closet. This is the latest stupid idea from the stupid bitch regulatory organization.

Reply to
Hipupchuck

I agree with that attempt. Sometimes, not often, a breaker will trip and fail to show it fully.

Checking every GFIC in the house is also a good thing to do because this portion of the circuit might be after a GFIC that has tripped.

If neither of those solve the problem then you have to trace the circuit looking for a loose connection.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Looking for a GFCI is a good idea, but not all GFCI's have red lights.

Adding a GFCI is a code compliant method for allowing the installation of 3-prong outlets downstream of the GFCI even if there is no ground. This allowed use makes the regulatory organization a friendly organization.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Thanks.

I flipped all the breakers and the circuits are still dead. I will check the GFCIs.

Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea

I couldn't find any tripped GFCIs.

I recall having problems with a GFCI when I had a mobile home. It kept tripping for no reason.

This is going to be fun.

Reply to
WhiteTea

I think one problem is that there are too many GFCI where they are not necessary.

I checked one in one bathroom and this is what I found. (After doing a test and reset.)

  1. Voltage is 116V going into the GFCI.
  2. No voltage when checking the two outlets.

What is the purpose of the light on the GFCI.

It obviously does not show that the GFCI is working.

Maybe it's a nightlight. :-)

Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea

Are you sure the outlet is dead? Maybe what is plugged into the outlet is sick.

Reply to
LouB

I used a voltmeter.

I just found that 2 GFCIs had tripped, resetting got all the outlets going.

I would like to know why they tripped.

As far as I can tell, the load at the time it tripped was 5.8 amps for a frig and a small amount for a fish tank pump and light.

Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea

Hi, GFCI can go bad.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The refrigerator should NOT be on a circuit with a GFCI.

Your fishtank is a likely cause of the GFCI tripping.

Reply to
salty

Refrigerators on a GFI are not a good idea. Building codes commonly require a dedicated circuit for such. YMMV

Joe

Reply to
Joe

It's my daughter's house.

She is awaiting a fridge that will fit in the space between some cabinets because the current one is too wide.

She had it plugged into an outlet in the garage.

I have now plugged the extension cord into the outlet made for the fridge.

Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea

See previous post.

I plugged the fish tank pump back into the same circuit. Maybe with the fridge on a separate line, the pump won't trip.

If it was my house, I would have one dedicated wire and breaker just for the garage outlets.

We'll see what happens.

Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea

Generally speaking, you don't want anything with a motor on a GFCI. I don't think the fishtank pump motor is big enough to matter, though. The reason I suspect the fishtank for tripping the GFCI is the abundance of water and humidity involved. If the light fixture gets even slightly damp, it could trip the GFCI.

Reply to
salty

What is the purpose of the light on the GFCI.

It obviously does not show that the GFCI is working.

All the ones I have seen with an led only lite when it is tripped or blown.

Using a 1500w hairdyer on a 15 amp GFIC can kill them over a period of time. Also sometimes they just die, always in the tripped position has been my experience.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

The GFIC that is dead may have died from a hair dryer.

Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea

Huh? The reason not to put a fridge on a gfci is that if it trips all the food can spoil.

Reply to
mm

Does your fridge have a motor by any chance?

Reply to
salty