outlet smells

I had my computer and alarm plugged into the outlet and i noticed that something in my room smelt like propane why would an outlet smell like propane pllease respond now

Reply to
Neavy

Get the f*ck out of your house and call 911.

Reply to
Monfort

Turn the circuit to that outlet off NOW! You have a faulty outlet...it may be the old "backstab" waiting to stab you. That is what caused the fire in our house.

Reply to
bob_villa

replying to bob_villa, Neavy wrote: the smell is gone now all i did is what my mom told me to that was to unplug everything that was in it the smell kept getting stronger after i did that though but i turned around and went to bed and the smell is gone i think i will go check it now the house i am in has been here since 2003 and they dont have fire alarms and never changed the outlets this has never happened before

Reply to
Neavy

Do I smell a troll? No "fire alarms"? Did he mean no smoke detectors? Where do they build houses in 2003 with no smoke detectors? If he's for real, first things I'd do are to turn off that circuit and get it checked and install smoke detectors.

Reply to
trader_4

replying to trader_4, Neavy wrote: trader_4 i am not a troll my pops built this house with his bare hands so no smoke detectors were ever installed they have them here just dont have time to install them

Reply to
Neavy

Pops isn't following code.

Reply to
Meanie

They may not have been required when Pops built the house. AFAIK no code says the homeowner/builder has to add them later - unless it's a rental property.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You are totally wrong. At least here in Ontario. ALL residential units - owned or rented - MUST have both working smoke detectors AMD working Co detectors. Doesn't matter how old or how new.

Reply to
clare

Here in the Peoples Republic of NJ, AFAIK, there is no law that requires you to put one in your existing home, if that home didn't require one when built, you still own it, and you're not renting it out. But if you sell it or rent it, then it needs to comply. And the OP says his house was built in 2003. Hard to imagine anywhere in the USA where smoke detectors were not required by then, but I guess anything is possible. And AFAIK OP hasn't said where he is.

Reply to
trader_4

So am I not totally wrong or only totally wrong in Ontario?

If I'm only wrong in Ontario does that mean I'm not totally wrong?

Does wrong need a passport to cross the border?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You do not say where you live and what codes apply to you. You said, and I quote"AFAIK no code says the homeowner/builder has to add them later - unless it's a rental property."

I just proved your staement wrong because Ontario code DOES require that they not only be installed but maintained in working order. Now you DO know.

Reply to
clare

No offence, but California has more folks than all of Canada...so not being from Canada, we tend not to remember our good neighbors to the North.

Reply to
bob_villa

;)

Reply to