Outlet recessed too much

Page 2 of 2
On Saturday, March 5, 2016 at 12:01:19 PM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:

It's not and as others have said, I've seen a lot of switches and receptacles and I've never seen a single one tape wrapped. No point to it. An inspector would take one look and know it's the work of a hack.
On 3/5/2016 8:51 AM, TimR wrote:

That is how I was taught to install "devices" (switch/receptacle) in boxes. A few loops around the SIDES of the device (start on one side, up to the top, down the other side, under the bottom, back up the first side, etc.). The mounting screws in the yoke at top and bottom require a bit of skill to navigate around (don't want to cut the tape). And, you don't want the tape to slip too far forward and become visible around the edge of the device after the faceplate is installed.
Was also taught to tug on the conductors in a cut piece of BX to pull them out of the armor, a bit, then wrap them with tape before letting them slip back into the sheath (the thinking being the tape helps protect the wires from the sharp edge of the BX). Nowadays you can buy little plastic inserts.
Also taught to wrap ROMEX with a few layers of tape before putting it under a cable clamp.
In every case, you really need quality tape. When I was taught, the tape was *cloth* and much thicker. Sort of like double-sided tape (but with very low tack).
OTOH, most folks use plastic boxes, nowadays (I replace plastic Jboxes with metal whenever I get the chance). And, unless you're using a lot of #12AWG, devices tend to stay where you place them (not a lot of pressure trying to push the device out of position from crunched wires)
[I tend to use oversize boxes so I'm not fighting trying to cram EXACTLY the maximum number of volume units into a given box. Nor worried that the threaded PLASTIC boss to which the device will fasten will "strip" from the pressure of all that "volume"]
On Sat, 05 Mar 2016 10:44:56 -0700, Don Y

Taught by who?

Again, taught by who: (and when?)) The old AC type cable and the old type connectors REQUIRE he use of "redheads" Tape does not meat the requirement. Howeverr, with type MC cable and the approved connectors for type MC cable, no bushing is required when properly installed because the connector prevents the wires from contacting the cut end of the cable armor. Because the "properly installed" can be a little tricky I tend to err on the side of being cautious and install redheads on all armoured cable. WAY back, a few wraps of "friction tape" were used in place of the redheads - plastic tape and cloth based "friction tape" are two completely different products

Tape is moree likely to allow the "romex" to pull out of a clamp than to help any. You are talking about the "cable clamp" that allows the romex to securely enter a Junction box, correct??? Was this back in the day od the tar/paper sheithed "romex"???

OK - you are talking about Friction tape - so you are talking the sixties or earlier???
Products and procedures have changed a LOT since then. What may have been common practice back then won't even pass code/inspection today.

+2 on that. Plastic boxes, although meeting minimum code, are a CURSE.
When pigtailing copper to aluminum in those situations where approved aluminum compatible devices are not available I use stranded copper to eliminate strain on the copper/aluminum connections. If done using Marrette63 or 63 connectors (prown phenolic) it is code compliant - particularly if the joint is made using no-ox type compound on the joint.
On 3/5/2016 6:28 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Three licensed master electrician uncles. I'd tag along to job sites (always handy to have a kid with lots of energy to pull cables "down the other end") and pester them with questions. And, the "easy things" would fall into my lap (perhaps as a way to keep me from asking MORE questions!).
None were related to each other so only had "me" in common. And, rarely dealt with two on the same "job". So, if Uncle1 had taught me something that Uncle2 didn't endorse, you can bet I'd hear about it!

See above. I've not used BX since I was a kid. Houses were typically wired with 14/2 or 12/2 BX, back then (no grounds).
When I need flexibility, now, I use liquid-tite flexible conduit. E.g., typically outdoors (connect AC compressor to its disconnect; connect swamp cooler; etc.).
Anything indoors is ROMEX. Anything outdoors is EMT.

Yup.

Lots of "inspector eyes" on work I've done, over the years. *My* habits haven't changed -- yet none have complained about these practices. Some have commented (but not flagged) on my "upside down" receptacles.
Caught some flack over an overly large wire nut one time (inspector claimed I could have used next smaller size and saved some space in the box). Also get lots of comments regarding spacings on low voltage cabling.
IME, they are primarily concerned with: - neatness (does it LOOK like it was planned vs. /ad hoc/?) - "respect" (for want of a better word) for the job they are doing - grounds

I think they are fine for brand new construction -- if the house is eventually demolished before any of them see any rework!
But, IME, opening up a plastic box is just inviting SOMETHING to go wrong!
And, bakelite ("an early plastic") boxes are the worst!

Eschew aluminum. I don't see that it buys you anything. A neighbor had his load center catch fire due to corrosion on aluminum cables. "OK, which one of you wants to walk up to it and pull the main?"

Manyayna isn't a craftsman or a competent tradesman - certainly not an electrician.. If his workmanship is so sloppy that the wires on a switch or outlet can contact the box, and if he leaves plates off of outlets or switches, or in any other way leaces the connections accessible to "kids" he should keep his paws off of anything electrical and hire an electriciam.
IDIOT
| Manyayna isn't a craftsman or a competent tradesman - certainly not | an electrician.. If his workmanship is so sloppy that the wires on a | switch or outlet can contact the box, and if he leaves plates off of | outlets or switches, or in any other way leaces the connections | accessible to "kids" he should keep his paws off of anything | electrical and hire an electriciam. | | IDIOT |
Rather harsh. Can I assume, then, that you disagree with me, or is this you being chummy? :)
On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 14:00:58 -0500, "Mayayana"

I deffinitely dissagree with you.
On Saturday, March 5, 2016 at 10:51:31 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:

+1

I still say it is a "hack" job.