Outlet in closet...

There ya go..ASS ume

Perhaps its for a computer & desk

Rudy

A friend has used this idea for 20 yrs w/o a problem so I copied their idea: My whole desktop system: (messy)desk/printer/cable modem/ wireless router is in there. Close the 2 doors and its all hidden away. I put Cat5e in there and a 15A circuit while building the house.

Rudy

that's not what the op said....

S. Barker

No, the op, me, didn't say anything at all about a heater OR a desk...

No, but we knew what you meant. We're good that way.

Reply to
HeyBub

No, *you* didn't get anything right or wrong. You're just trying to include yourself in a make believe group of helpful posters. Had you replied to the thread with advice, opinions, or fact - "we" might take you seriously.

I hope I am doing this correct I have a converted closet Not a walk-in just one with the bi-fold doors it has been converted to a home office,my question is basically the same except I want an electrician to do it and DO NOT want to go against code.any professionals out there have a problem with putting in about 4-5 outlets to be primary source for computer,monitor,printer lights etc.... Thanks Irish

Reply to
Irish

All equipment connected to a computer (by USB, serial port, printer port, whatever) should be plugged into the same circuit. This is one case where a power strip really is the best solution as it ensures that this is the case. If you use a UPS, plug *everything* into it - if it's a good one, it should have several outlets on it that are conditioned but not backed up (unless it is a "true online" type, which you probably don't have in your home.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

What happens if you don't do this?

What happens if you don't do this? Seriously. I need to know. :)

Reply to
mm

I thought they ran on batteries.

Reply to
mm

re: They make an extension ceiling box for that purpose

Maybe we're talking about the same thing. I used an octagon box, about

1.5" deep, open top and bottom, with punch-outs for romex connectors on the side. Screwed it to the existing ceiling box (which is embeded in plaster) then screwed a basic $3 ceiling light fixture to it.
Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: They make an extension ceiling box for that purpose

Here's what I used...

DerbyDad03

I don't see anything wrong in doing this. Electrical code varies with location, but I'm sure you're concerned about safety. Putting a lot of electrical equipment into a cabinet or closet may generate excess heat, and that is often overlooked by homeowners. Heat is one of the three items needed for starting a fire, and heat is also the number one enemy of computers.

Reply to
Phisherman

here's a thread with my personal experiences...

nothing done blowed up, but it certainly couldn't have been good for the USB port.

nate

Reply to
N8N

The outlet would be for the charger. Instead of your dust buster being plugged in when you're using it, it's plugged in when you're NOT using it.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

When it comes to wives, there is no such thing as _enough_ closets. We bought a small house (retirement) with only a couple small closets. It now has 9 closets, 4 of which have double doors. No room to put anythign into them anymore.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

SNIP HAPPENS

If you are going the professional route, I seriously suggest that you have the pro run two separate 20 amp 12 ga circuits into the office area.

One to power the machines, one for serious lighting.

Some will think this overkill, but in the last 20 years I have only seen power draw from computers, scanners, printers, wall warts for modems, monitors, shredders, wall warts for phones, laptop wall warts/ chargers, TVs, VCRs / CD players, etc etc etc grow and grow and grow.

Pulling two cables at one time now is a lot easier and cheaper in the long run

You might want to look io GFCI breakers for new ircuits, and also look at surge protector breakers or whole house surge protection and use "strip" type surge proctectors IN ADDITION.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin