Outlet in closet...

Page 2 of 2
Tropics -- no furnace and no central air, not needed in that climate --

Add pictures here
✖
Hell if that's the case, probably don't need a closet, because you don't need clothes.

✖
On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 19:51:51 -0600, "S. Barker"

I don't need a closet for the dozen pairs of shorts and golf shirts I wear but I still have a wife. That is why we need a closet. She has more storage space for shoes than my whole wardrobe.
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 8, 9:13 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

When it comes to wives, there is no such thing as _enough_ closets. We bought a small house (retirement) with only a couple small closets. It now has 9 closets, 4 of which have double doors. No room to put anythign into them anymore.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

There ya go..ASS ume
Perhaps its for a computer & desk
✖
that's not what the op said....

✖
S. Barker wrote:

No, the op, me, didn't say anything at all about a heater OR a desk...
✖
a wrote:

No, but we knew what you meant. We're good that way.
Add pictures here
✖
HeyBub wrote:

No, *you* didn't get anything right or wrong. You're just trying to include yourself in a make believe group of helpful posters. Had you replied to the thread with advice, opinions, or fact - "we" might take you seriously.
✖

I hope I am doing this correct I have a converted closet Not a walk-in just one with the bi-fold doors it has been converted to a home office,my question is basically the same except I want an electrician to do it and DO NOT want to go against code.any professionals out there have a problem with putting in about 4-5 outlets to be primary source for computer,monitor,printer lights etc.... Thanks Irish
Add pictures here
✖
Irish wrote:

All equipment connected to a computer (by USB, serial port, printer port, whatever) should be plugged into the same circuit. This is one case where a power strip really is the best solution as it ensures that this is the case. If you use a UPS, plug *everything* into it - if it's a good one, it should have several outlets on it that are conditioned but not backed up (unless it is a "true online" type, which you probably don't have in your home.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

What happens if you don't do this?

What happens if you don't do this? Seriously. I need to know. :)

Add pictures here
✖

here's a thread with my personal experiences...
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/browse_frm/thread/3f3f5f8f637f08b3/f7d905a71ef0f2a4?lnk=gst&q=Nagel+AFCI#f7d905a71ef0f2a4
nothing done blowed up, but it certainly couldn't have been good for the USB port.
nate
Add pictures here
✖

I don't see anything wrong in doing this. Electrical code varies with location, but I'm sure you're concerned about safety. Putting a lot of electrical equipment into a cabinet or closet may generate excess heat, and that is often overlooked by homeowners. Heat is one of the three items needed for starting a fire, and heat is also the number one enemy of computers.
Add pictures here
✖
Irish wrote:
SNIP HAPPENS

If you are going the professional route, I seriously suggest that you have the pro run two separate 20 amp 12 ga circuits into the office area.
One to power the machines, one for serious lighting.
Some will think this overkill, but in the last 20 years I have only seen power draw from computers, scanners, printers, wall warts for modems, monitors, shredders, wall warts for phones, laptop wall warts/ chargers, TVs, VCRs / CD players, etc etc etc grow and grow and grow.
Pulling two cables at one time now is a lot easier and cheaper in the long run
You might want to look io GFCI breakers for new ircuits, and also look at surge protector breakers or whole house surge protection and use "strip" type surge proctectors IN ADDITION.
Add pictures here
✖
a wrote:

Assuning its installed just the same as in a wall in a oom, no NEC issues at all. Just install in accord with applicable Code.
Add pictures here
✖
a wrote:

Thanks all - It's the end of a run of wiring and I had run the wiring ending in an alcove in a far corner - intending to create a TV/Stereo area with some built ins. I ended up pushing back the alcove and closing it off with a door for some much needed storage.
I may put some network equipment in there, but only if I can keep it relatively cool.
I pushed back into a furnace/laundry room and there was an overhead light conveniently located there for the closet now so that's why I asked about the outlet - and no, I will not be storing blasting caps and oily rags there! (they go next to the furnace, of course!)
✖