Outlet in closet...

Page 1 of 2
Is it a bad idea (code or practical) to have an electrical outlet inside a storage closet?

How else do you plug your dust buster in

I thought they ran on batteries.

The outlet would be for the charger. Instead of your dust buster being plugged in when you're using it, it's plugged in when you're NOT using it.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I didn't install an outlet, but I did just about the same thing for the pull chain ceiling light - added a spacer between the fixture and the ceiling and ran wiremold to a surface mounted switch box. Eliminated the pull string that hung down in front of my face every time I opened the door.

I didn't install an outlet, but I did just about the same thing for the pull chain ceiling light - added a spacer between the fixture and the ceiling and ran wiremold to a surface mounted switch box. Eliminated the pull string that hung down in front of my face every time I opened the door.
They make an extension ceiling box for that purpose. V5737

re: They make an extension ceiling box for that purpose
Maybe we're talking about the same thing. I used an octagon box, about 1.5" deep, open top and bottom, with punch-outs for romex connectors on the side. Screwed it to the existing ceiling box (which is embeded in plaster) then screwed a basic $3 ceiling light fixture to it.

re: They make an extension ceiling box for that purpose
Here's what I used...
http://www.doityourself.com/invt/u185439

A friend has used this idea for 20 yrs w/o a problem so I copied their idea: My whole desktop system: (messy)desk/printer/cable modem/ wireless router is in there. Close the 2 doors and its all hidden away. I put Cat5e in there and a 15A circuit while building the house.

Just store the network components outside the closet.
Oren --

Not usual practice, but can't see why this can not be done especially in a walk-in closet. Should think about safety, heat buildup and flammables when plugging in an appliance.

I have had them put in closets. See past tense HAD. They didn't come in closets. And then I had them put in closets before they were built as in remodel. They are very useful for charging vacuums, etc. As in any confined space, you should exercise care. Things left to charge too long are not a good idea.
You can NOT have too many electrical outlets, I don't care where you are. I just finished a casita, and had them put on the inside wall of the outside buttresses so that I would have a place to plug in Christmas lights. And a little heater for when we go up on the roof to watch the meteor showers, etc. I also had a four plug put on EVERY outside wall at a corner for such things as timers, water features, low voltage transformers, weed eaters, whatever.
AND even had one 220 plug put outside.
Steve

With all those outlets, how close are your neighbors? Do they have unusual number of extension cords outside?
Red :-)

many years ago I installed a nice outside outlet but found my neighbor used it more than I did:( so I installed a master off switch for all my outside outlets.
neighbor had nerve came over and asked family member to turn them on, family said i wasnt home and they didnt know how, although the switch was right by the door they were standing at.
it wasnt the cost of electric it was the principal of the thing

Should have wired it for 120 & 220 with a transfer switch on the regular duplex. When he plugged something expensive into it, hit the "turbo boost" :-)
Lotta work to do but it would be worth it to some (like me).
--
Recd Green\'s latest wisdom: There\'s only two times you shouldn\'t smile -
when there\'s a rotten smell around and when you wife isn\'t smiling.

In a humid climate, all of our apartment bedroom closets had receptacles, which were used for heaters to prevent the buildup of mold and mildew.
OH, now there's a good idea. A space heater in a closet full of clothes.

S. Barker wrote:

Not a space heater, just a little heat strip. Many people just use a 100W light bulb.
Bill Gill
some of us use a clothes dryer and a furnace in the house.