Outlet in a closet

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 15:56:13 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

The restrictions in closets deal with lights, not receptacles. You can have all you want. It is very common to have a shelf top location (on the wall) for security equipment in the master BR closet. They may also home run low voltage cables there in the pre drywall rough in high end houses.
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 07:03:26 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@altavista.net wrote:

Having a 20A circuit and not needing it is better than not having a 20A circuit when you do need it.
You may even want to put a computer server in their one day.
On 02/24/2013 10:17 AM, Metspitzer wrote:

You can take my 20A circuit when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers!
Jon
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:23:56 -0800, Jon Danniken

Jon, where do you live <grin> ?
Ha! I just tripped off the breaker, and your 20 amp hand warmer is cold....

You can take my 20A circuit when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers!
Jon

120V @20A is 2.4kW dissipated in that closet. Better add a circuit for the AC, too.
On Feb 24, 9:03 am, snipped-for-privacy@altavista.net wrote:

Often the closet in one room backs up to another room with a power outlet on the wall of the other room that is on the opposite side of the wall that forms the back of the closet. It is a simple matter to branch off this outlet to install an outlet on the closet back wall. A simple matter of locating the "new" receptacle, and stuffing the Romex a couple inches into the existing outlet and attaching to the spare terminals ... If this is the case with your setup, the job will be an easy one.
Robert

Not if the receptacle in the other room isn't on a 20 amp circuit...

I think the OP wants a dedicated 20 amp for the cameras.
My licensed electrician here in NYC says outlets are not allowed in closets. But he puts them in for me.
Nor are bare incandescent bulbs allowed. They must be covered or fluorescent. This I do follow.

What's his name so I can report him ? Just kidding... Seriously I wonder why they don't allow them in a closet?

You would likely be stacking stuff against the outlet.
Just guessing.
Not sure why the ceiling in a closet wouldn't be okay.
--
Dan Espen

Still trapped heat. It would invite light bulbs, as well (same issue, really).

They are not allowed in ceilings because the inspectors can never be sure that all receptacles will either be used or covered with a childproof insert.
Exposed ceiling receptacles have been known to drop electrons on people's heads.

Idiots would be plugging space heaters into them. Or make it into a kitchenette with a hotplate. Handy place for a bedroom coffee maker.

Excellent point. I guess in certain cases the small cramped space could lead to fires because its mostly outa sight outa mind. Yep, I follow you. Thanks Ed for giving me a clue !!

I tried to find this on the web. NYC uses the NEC with changes. Like 6' instead of 3'. I was not able to find anything on the NYC web pages regarding outlets in closets. I called my electrician. He couldn't defend his comment about this from last Summer. I have to retract my comment.
His father was my former electrician. They have the same first name. I half looked in my address book and I called his father first by mistake. It gave me a chance to give my condolences for his losing his Summer house in the Breezy Point fire. I got to ask a question I had been wondering. Which house had his personal belongings? Maybe the Breezy Point house was bought furnished and his personal stuff was in the Florida house? Nope. The Florida house was bought furnished and all personal things, including irreplaceable family heirlooms, were in the Breezy Point house. Bummer.

Thanks and sorry to hear about your former electrician. I can only imagine the pain of losing objects that can't be replaced. Well, the good thing is ...he's still alive.

Is "not allowed" an NEC issue or local zoning??

That is certainly not a NEC rule but who knows what NYC does