Outlet in a closet

You would likely be stacking stuff against the outlet.

Just guessing.

Not sure why the ceiling in a closet wouldn't be okay.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Still trapped heat. It would invite light bulbs, as well (same issue, really).

Reply to
krw

They are not allowed in ceilings because the inspectors can never be sure that all receptacles will either be used or covered with a childproof insert.

Exposed ceiling receptacles have been known to drop electrons on people's heads.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Is "not allowed" an NEC issue or local zoning??

Reply to
hrhofmann

Idiots would be plugging space heaters into them. Or make it into a kitchenette with a hotplate. Handy place for a bedroom coffee maker.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What light? Millions of closets have no lights in them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm more puzzled by the desire to put a security camera in a closet.

Someone stealing your neckties?

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Excellent point. I guess in certain cases the small cramped space could lead to fires because its mostly outa sight outa mind. Yep, I follow you. Thanks Ed for giving me a clue !!

Reply to
Doug

That is certainly not a NEC rule but who knows what NYC does

Reply to
gfretwell

This is a tragedy. I'm founding LiFoClos, which will halep to bring lights to the dark closets of America. Our symbol will be a black ribbon, because it's so dark in there.

Reply to
micky

Ha! I just tripped off the breaker, and your

20 amp hand warmer is cold....

.

You can take my 20A circuit when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers!

Jon

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

e my security camera > > and DVR setup to a closet. No outlet in there now. This is going to be > > a 20A to power the cameras' power adapter, monitor and DVR > > > thanks > > richard > > 20 amps? 20 amp breaker, 20 amp recep tacle, and 12 gauge wire for that > small amount of electronics? Way overki ll...unless the circuit is already > present and you just want to extend it into the closet. It's still > overkill, but if it's already nearby, then w hy not. > > As far as whether or not an outlet is allowed in a closet, I'm pretty sure > there's an outlet in this closet. > >

Thanks folks. I know it is an overkill. Plan to upgrade to 16-camera unit. Just like an extra headroom, 4 cameras @ approx. 3A per 4- camera, that adds to 12A + DVD and monitor. Plus planni ng to add IR illuminators and plenty of spare 20's already in the main brea ker that is unused.

Still massively overkill. Find an outlet on one the walls adjacent to the closet and tap in there with a piece of 14/2. Some juristictions don't all ow closet outlets but I've done a number so I could put electronics in a cl oset.

Reply to
jamesgang

My oversight folks. I forgot that I was looking at DC.

I think I'll go the distribution box as Cliff mentioned. I've got SMC data distribution box in there. I'll tap off of a J-box that's already in the attic feeding a 20A outlet circuit.

thanks all, richard

Reply to
a2rjh

Thieves can destroy the DVR recordings, or take it with them. It's likely thieves might look in closets. It's likely thieves might break into locked closets if given enough time.

My "early 60's house had string pull lights in all closets. My early 50's has none.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

in a closet.

As long as it's on a 15 amp breaker

Greg

Reply to
gregz

:

ove my security camera > > and DVR setup to a closet. No outlet in there no w. This is going to be > > a 20A to power the cameras' power adapter, monit or and DVR > > > thanks > > richard > > 20 amps? 20 amp breaker, 20 amp rec eptacle, and 12 gauge wire for that > small amount of electronics? Way over kill...unless the circuit is already > present and you just want to extend it into the closet. It's still > overkill, but if it's already nearby, then why not. > > As far as whether or not an outlet is allowed in a closet, I' m pretty sure > there's an outlet in this closet. > >

folks. I know it is an overkill. Plan to upgrade to 16-camera unit. Just like an extra headroom, 4 cameras @ approx. 3A per 4- camera, that adds to 12A + DVD and monitor. Plus planni ng to add IR illuminators and plenty of spare 20's already in the main brea ker that is unused.

the closet and tap in there with a piece of 14/2.  Some juristictions don 't allow closet outlets but I've done a number so I could put electronics i n a closet.

Please use 14/3 or 14/2 with a ground.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I tried to find this on the web. NYC uses the NEC with changes. Like 6' instead of 3'. I was not able to find anything on the NYC web pages regarding outlets in closets. I called my electrician. He couldn't defend his comment about this from last Summer. I have to retract my comment.

His father was my former electrician. They have the same first name. I half looked in my address book and I called his father first by mistake. It gave me a chance to give my condolences for his losing his Summer house in the Breezy Point fire. I got to ask a question I had been wondering. Which house had his personal belongings? Maybe the Breezy Point house was bought furnished and his personal stuff was in the Florida house? Nope. The Florida house was bought furnished and all personal things, including irreplaceable family heirlooms, were in the Breezy Point house. Bummer.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Good point about the recording apparatus being accessible to the thieves!

A few years ago, a couple of teenagers broke into a Maine small-town boat repair dock. Their goal was to steal some radios out of the boats.

Oops! Once in, they noticed the cameras!

Nothing for it but to burn the place down.

Unfortunately, the cable ran up the hill to the office of the boat repair company to the recording equipment. It took the local constabulary about two minutes to recognize the culprits. Arrests followed within the hour.

Here's where it gets tricky. The seventeen-year old (an adult) got, after restitution, a five-year probated sentence.

The fifteen-year old was turned over to the Secret Service inasmuch as one of the burned boats belonged to George H.W. Bush. The juvenile was charged with domestic terrorism and ordered confined to the only federal juvenile maximum-security facility, in Pennsylvania, until he turned twenty-one.

So, then, this rosy-cheeked snowflake will be locked up for six years with a passel of drunken Indians.

Reply to
HeyBub

Thanks and sorry to hear about your former electrician. I can only imagine the pain of losing objects that can't be replaced. Well, the good thing is ...he's still alive.

Reply to
Doug