Outlet Boxes: clamps & gromets required?

Page 3 of 3

On Jul 30, 2:14pm, "Jon Danniken"

you can't take two of the single gang ones and gang them together? Typically those boxes *are* only sold in single gang, but you can take 'em apart and put 'em back together for 2- or 3-gang applications.
nate
N8N wrote:

I don't think an old work box is a particularly good idea for a 50A receptacle. IMHO the box should be attached to something substantial, not the wall.
--
bud--

possibly true, but I was just trying to address his post which was that he couldn't find two-gang old work boxes - I don't think that he will, but that's not really a problem.
I guess it all depends on how often the appliance connected to it is plugged in and unplugged. I probably would replace it with a new work box at the next repaint, myself. Or if it were an area that had extra paint, just go ahead and do it now.
nate

I generally use an old-work box and install it right at a stud so I can screw it to the stud on one side, and let the "ears" hold it top and bottom. for that kind of application.

RBM wrote:

Interesting, thanks for that.
Jon
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:56:14 -0700 (PDT), Josh

If the question is indicative of your your electrical knowledge, please call an electrician.

Depending upon the box type and composition, clamps or connectors may or may not be required. For metal boxes, I'm a big fan of the Arlington button. They take up very little space and are easy to use. Be sure to use boxes of adequate size for the size and amount of cables you plan to use in each box.

I am curious...., why don't plastic boxes come with round knock-outs like metal boxes have?
Instead of having to deal with the blue plastic bendable flaps, I would much rather have a plastic box with round knock-out holes, and then use Arlington buttons to secure the incoming wires.

You can get larger plastic boxes, like 4" square with knockouts, but I've never seen them on single gang boxes. I'm not real sure that a button will hold tight in a plastic box. It may be slightly thicker than steel

RBM wrote:

That's the part I don't get. I wonder why they don't seem to make plastic single gang boxes with knockouts instead of those annoying plastic bendable flaps/tabs. Then either make Arlington buttons that work with them or be able to use the metal connectors that are used with metal boxes.

Y'know, that just registered... I think for 12/2 you will need to use a large box. the standard 2-1/2" switch boxes don't have enough capacity to accomodate two cables, clamps, and a device by current code. you'll need whatever the deeper size is.
nate
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:56:14 -0700 (PDT), Josh

Probably. I'm not an electrician and I've never had a copy of the NEC, so I can't say yes, but you should use clamps regardless.

You're supposed to use add-on clamps for those knockouts. They not only hold the romex in place, they fill the rest of the hole, so that sparking and fire will stay in the box and not spread to the wall.
I've never heard of the use of grommets here and I woudln't consider using them. They don't fill the hole.
Felix has a point. IF you want to do this yourself, at least read a couple books on the subject. They have DIY books that deal with electricity. Some have long chapters. If they're long, maybe 2 or 3 of them would be enough. they have them at the libary and the book department of Home Depot etc. (If they only have in stock, "How to illuminate your patio", that will probalby go too fast past the basic electrical wiring.)