Outlet Boxes: clamps & gromets required?

Felix, the trouble with Lectricians is them bastards want to be PAID. What's up with that?

Reply to
Josh

Ah, cool, it helps to know what those things are called. I'll try and see if I can acquire some locally for the 240 box I'm putting in for my welder.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I don't see stuff like that at my local hardware store. Professionals get all the good stuff.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I bet they do. Lowes and the BORG certainly do. Perhaps you don't know what you're looking at? BTW, they're normally called "old work boxes".

Reply to
krw

Well, I've seen the plastic boxes with the wings that flip out and tighten up against the back of the drywall, and I do know the difference between old-work and new-work. Just haven't seen any metal boxes with a similar feature.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Reply to
RBM

Boxes made for existing walls will have some sort of bracket to prevent the box from falling into the wall, then you need some other type of device to prevent the box from falling out of the wall, such as plaster tins=madison bars=switch box supports. But be careful as things are "normally" called by different names in different places. Such as cut in gem box = wet wall box =old work box

Reply to
RBM

I havn't got the electrical code handy, but that's my thought. Sharp edges of metal boxes aren't good for wires.

When I replaced my old furnace, I found out that the last guy hadn't used a romex clamp where the wire comes into my furnace. I'm surprised and pleased that the metal edge of the furnace hadn't worn through.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Metal old-wiring boxes are available in every home improvement store and larger hardware stores I've ever looked for such stuff in. Instead of the flip-out tabs, they have a metal strip on the side that deforms out behind the wall as the screw is turned, much like a molly- bolt.

You can also use the 'E' fingers that slip behind the wall and then are bent into the box.

Reply to
keith

Same here. Those just aren't available at the Big Boxen, and in fact, even metal old work boxes and Madison hangers are hard to find, although they do have them (and they are usually on different shelves from each other, what's up with that?)

nate

Reply to
N8N

Around here, those are only available at supply houses. But fortunately at least one of them is open on Saturday mornings.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Really? Have you checked at the BORG?

Reply to
keith

Bullshit. Judging by your IP address, "around here" appears to be Dallas, TX. Are there no Lowe's, Home Depot, Menards, or Ace Hardware stores in the Dallas area?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes, they are. You just haven't found them yet.

Oddly enough, I have no trouble finding them.

Different products are in different places. What's hard to understand about that?

Reply to
Doug Miller

I'm actually in northern VA, and we have tons of Home Depots although there are none of the others convenient to me (there's a Lowe's about

20 miles away.) They do NOT carry anything other than the plastic boxes, new work boxes, and the traditional old work boxes that are used with Madison hangers.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Come to the store with me and show me where I can actually purchase them.

It makes no sense?

Think about it, if one product is worthless without the other and vice versa, wouldn't it make sense to stock them close to each other?

nate

Reply to
N8N

Y'know, that just registered... I think for 12/2 you will need to use a large box. the standard 2-1/2" switch boxes don't have enough capacity to accomodate two cables, clamps, and a device by current code. you'll need whatever the deeper size is.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I don't work there. Talk to the people that do.

So you expect to find nails on the same aisle as the 2x4s? When you go to the grocery, you expect to find baking pans right next to the flour, or milk with the cereal? Do they keep charcoal in the meat case?

Reply to
Doug Miller

My Borg sells 2 x 4's with the nails already pounded in. That sure saves a lot of work.

I just screw them up where I need them and never have to swing a hammer. Sweet!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Apples and oranges. They're in the same *section* just three shelves up and five shelves over, or something. And God help you if you can't find them and ask an associate where the Madison hangers are, unless you *like* getting that bovine look of noncomprehension. That's what I hate the most about Home Depot, really. Whereas once you invest the half hour or so to figure out where everything is, you know know more about what a store stocks than the people that work there.

nate

Reply to
N8N