Outlet Boxes: clamps & gromets required?

Page 2 of 3

On Jul 30, 12:41 am, "Jon Danniken"

Metal old-wiring boxes are available in every home improvement store and larger hardware stores I've ever looked for such stuff in. Instead of the flip-out tabs, they have a metal strip on the side that deforms out behind the wall as the screw is turned, much like a molly- bolt.
You can also use the 'E' fingers that slip behind the wall and then are bent into the box.
Add pictures here
✖

Around here, those are only available at supply houses. But fortunately at least one of them is open on Saturday mornings.
nate
Add pictures here
✖

Really? Have you checked at the BORG?
Add pictures here
✖

Bullshit. Judging by your IP address, "around here" appears to be Dallas, TX. Are there no Lowe's, Home Depot, Menards, or Ace Hardware stores in the Dallas area?
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 30, 9:15 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I'm actually in northern VA, and we have tons of Home Depots although there are none of the others convenient to me (there's a Lowe's about 20 miles away.) They do NOT carry anything other than the plastic boxes, new work boxes, and the traditional old work boxes that are used with Madison hangers.
nate
Add pictures here
✖

On the way home from work I checked at the BORG. They carry two types of steel old-wiring boxes here.
Add pictures here
✖
On 07/30/2010 09:04 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

*shrug* so your borgs don't suck as bad as mine. Everything's cheaper at the supply house anyway so for things electrical I don't bother with the Borg, unless it's Sunday.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I wouldn't even know where the supply houses are here and I doubt they're open anytime outside of my normal work hours. The BORG and Lowes are only about three miles from my house. For a couple of old-wiring boxes, cost isn't a priority.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 31, 12:56 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Not a big deal for me, supply house is more convenient than all but one HD, lower prices, competent staff, what's not to like?
nate
Add pictures here
✖

I've used supply houses for large jobs (different state). They were fine, though the droids at the desk didn't really seem to want my business. I have found the staff at HD and Lowes to be quite variable. Mostly indifferent but some stores have quite competent staff. In VT, many in the electrical department were electricians, some retired (Ohio HD employees were beyond useless). Here, it's a mix; most at least want to help.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 11:58:05 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I've found here the ones who WANT to help are totally incapable and those who might be capable don't give a rat's ass, - and then there are those who"know it all" but are wrong, wrong, wrong. Like the one former phone company employee and licenced electrician who INSISTED I needed 4 pair (cat 5) wire to wire an extention to a Nortel Norstar digital phone system, when all the other 23 were wired with single twisted pair wiring and were working perfectly that way for over 8 years - - - - - .
Add pictures here
✖

✖
On Jul 29, 11:14 pm, "Jon Danniken"

Same here. Those just aren't available at the Big Boxen, and in fact, even metal old work boxes and Madison hangers are hard to find, although they do have them (and they are usually on different shelves from each other, what's up with that?)
nate
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, they are. You just haven't found them yet.
http://www.homedepot . com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xno/R-100197582/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId053
http://www.lowes.com/pd_74219-427-506_0_

Oddly enough, I have no trouble finding them.

Different products are in different places. What's hard to understand about that?
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 30, 9:22 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Come to the store with me and show me where I can actually purchase them.

It makes no sense?
Think about it, if one product is worthless without the other and vice versa, wouldn't it make sense to stock them close to each other?
nate
Add pictures here
✖

I don't work there. Talk to the people that do.

So you expect to find nails on the same aisle as the 2x4s? When you go to the grocery, you expect to find baking pans right next to the flour, or milk with the cereal? Do they keep charcoal in the meat case?
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 30, 10:37 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

My Borg sells 2 x 4's with the nails already pounded in. That sure saves a lot of work.
I just screw them up where I need them and never have to swing a hammer. Sweet!
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 30, 10:37 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Apples and oranges. They're in the same *section* just three shelves up and five shelves over, or something. And God help you if you can't find them and ask an associate where the Madison hangers are, unless you *like* getting that bovine look of noncomprehension. That's what I hate the most about Home Depot, really. Whereas once you invest the half hour or so to figure out where everything is, you know know more about what a store stocks than the people that work there.
nate
Add pictures here
✖

Ah, but just think of the feeling you get when you encounter an employee that actually knows what (s)he's talking about.
We've got 1.5 guys in our HD's plumbing department that know what they're talking about. (one knows *everything*, the other is pretty good). The first time I was looking into SharkBites, I luckily found a guy who knew them inside and out, including sources for connectors that HD didn't carry. I probably would have spent a lot more money and effort if it hadn't been him in the aisle that day.
They've also got one guy in flooring that not only could answer my questions, but came up with some creative solutions to deal with the foyer floor after I installed a new entry door.
Electrical...well that's a different story. Other than getting them to cut wire for me, I don't bother asking for help or suggestions.
Add pictures here
✖
N8N wrote:

I found those boxes in the link at my locally owned Ace this morningm but only in single gang. As I am putting in a 50A outlet, I need a double gang box, and they don't have any double gang metal boxes with the screw wings for old work (and I'll be damned before I put a 50A outlet in a flimsy blue plastc box).
So, I picked up a metal new work box, and it looks like I'll get to open up an access panel on the other side of the wall. Poop.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖