outlet box on outside of house

I plan to install a new circuit for some landscape lighting and want to have a single outlet mounted to the side of my brick house. My plan is to surface mount a weather-proof outlet box to the brick. I can drill a hole in the wall and have the wire exit the house straight into the outlet box. Is this the best way to get an outlet out there?
My other question is, since the wire is going directly from the breaker box through the wall and straight into the outdoor outlet box, do I need to use any type of conduit?
The circuit with be 20A with 12GA Type TW wire and have a single GFCI outlet.
Thanks, Kevin
I should also clairfy that my plan would be for the wire to go right into the back of the outlet box rather than the bottom (so no wire would get exposure to sun etc.) . I have not actually been to HD yet to see what they have so I don't know if something like that is even available....
Also, here it looks like they are just using NM cable?
http://www.creativehomeowner.com/index.php?pane=project&projectid=chele189
The pictures show the basic idea as to what I'd like to do (although the exterior of my house is brick).
Thanks, Kevin

And in North America (most jurisdictions these days) it should be a GFI to meet code and insurance requirements. Another suggestion: make sure the mounting box has built in cable clamps (or equivalent) even though the cable will go straight in through the wall it should, according to code, be secured?
NM cable straight through into the back of an FS type box as shown is fine. Be sure to use a connector, a ground fault outlet, and current NEC no longer permits the weather proof cover as shown , but instead a "while in use" type cover is required

I'm suprised than NM cable is OK. Are you 100% sure? I definitely don't mind as I have a bunch of 12GA NM left over from my basement...
Thanks for any further explanation you can provide...
Kevin
It's fine, you're not in a wet location. Another thing the code does require is to seal the threaded plugs with compound. If you don't do it, water just leaks right through them

Damn is it hard to find a decent outdoor surface mount 'in-use' outlet box !

They're code around here and have been for a while now. The big box stores only started carrying them recently. Try _any_ real electrical supply house - they'll have them.
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 16:41:42 -0000, " snipped-for-privacy@blah.com"

Ebay- I bought a dozen for what my local lowes wanted for 4. [including shipping]
I even bought a couple double box covers that I've not seen in the big-box stores.
Jim